• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chris T.,

You should not expect a black belt before a minimum of four years. The average that is usually quoted is 4-6 yrs. I got mine in about 4 1/2, and that was going 4 times a week, in Master Harmon's school, and being a member of the Black Belt Club and getting the extra instruction. Aaaannnd, I was taking black belt tests every quarter at headquarters in Houston.

Remember, you're still pretty early in the process. As you learn more and more material, it will take you longer and longer to review it all in class before they'll teach you new material. I'm sure you're smokin' now, but expect it to slow down as you progress. And the Grandmaster loves us to make sure all our students learn the valuable lesson of the 2 Ps, Patience and Perseverence. Two things you just won't get in only two years.

Oh yeah, and typically you're not allowed to test more frequently than every 3 months after yellow, and you actually must have 2 blk stripes on you brown before going to black belt testing (which are the equivalent of two more tests). And, unless you are stellar, don't expect to get promoted on only your second blk belt test. If you use these numbers, you should come closer to the 4-6 year range.

Chris from CT, I drive over to Mahopac, NY every week.

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2002-05-15 12:57 ]

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this is a KSW thing, but the average for BB is 4 years in any korean art (if not a Mcdojang). My TKD school, it takes an average of 3 to 4 years. My TSD school, it took 3 and a half to 5 years.

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-05-15 11:26 ]

Laurie F

All,

Many thanks for the replies!

I'm not too bothered about the time it will take me to get to BB. What I'm really interested in is a MA that will keep my interest for the rest of my life, and I think KSW will fit the bill nicely !

Looks like I'll have to wait a few years tho, until I can get my hands on some of those exotic weapons :cry:

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with my first lesson!

Thanks again.

Bill.

On 2002-05-15 09:50, KSN Doug wrote:

Chris from CT, I drive over to Mahopac, NY every week.

That's cool. :smile: I was born and raised in Danbury, right next to Brewster, NY.

Take care

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

I was thinking about KSW, too. There's a school up here (Rochester area, NY). I can't find Hapkido, so is KSW the next best thing? I'm the type that likes "empty hand" techniques more than weapons ('sept for nunchu's .. sp? ... and bo staff). I also love forms. What kind (names) of forms do they do?

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-05-15 19:57 ]

Laurie F

Definately right. KSW has a lot of similarities to Hapkido (like the empty handed aspects), but it goes well past that.

There are a number of articles in the Black Belt Magazine archives that depict an attempt, many years ago, to join the two arts into a unified federation. I think there were too many disagreements by the Grandmasters of each to pull it off. Unfortunately, it also caused a splinter group in Korea. I think it was something like the Hapkido Kuk Sool Association, or something close to that.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Chris T: My figure of 5+ years is derived from the testimony of those who have achieved that rank. And my actual quote was training 2-5 hours/week. That is normal for the average person who has other commitments in life. My advice is don't rush it. Have fun.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.