• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions about beginning Aikido

I would really like to learn Aikido because I like the idea of knowing an art where my skills become increasing sharper with age. However, I have two major concerns. First of all, I'm in the application process for a government job, which will require me to move. Provided I get the job, I'll have to move within the next three years.

I have experience in Karate, and I know that switching schools can be a pain because different dojos have different forms, different ranking systems, and sometimes very different techniques. However, Aikido doesn't have any forms, correct? If I move three years from now, will I be able to join a new school and continue progressing without difficulty? Would I have to relearn my techniques because my new school executes them differently? Would my rank be recognized? Is the ranking system of Aikido more standardized than other arts?

Also, I know Aikido is an internal, technical art, but I like to stay in shape (strength training, cardio conditioning, etc). I recall from my experience in Karate that the guys who liked working out were chastized for muscling through techniques. Could I do both, train my body and learn proper technique at the same time?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have experience in Karate, and I know that switching schools can be a pain because different dojos have different forms, different ranking systems, and sometimes very different techniques. However, Aikido doesn't have any forms, correct? If I move three years from now, will I be able to join a new school and continue progressing without difficulty? Would I have to relearn my techniques because my new school executes them differently? Would my rank be recognized? Is the ranking system of Aikido more standardized than other arts?

As far as moving and taking your rank with you, that will depend on whether or not the two schools are under the same association. The best thing you can do is ask. If it were me, I would start the training anyways, because even if you do have to start over, you will still have the experience, which is always a positive.

Also, I know Aikido is an internal, technical art, but I like to stay in shape (strength training, cardio conditioning, etc). I recall from my experience in Karate that the guys who liked working out were chastized for muscling through techniques. Could I do both, train my body and learn proper technique at the same time?

You can train your body (lift weights) and learn proper technique at the same time. Just listen to the information from your instructor, and go with the flow. I don't believe that strength can ever be a disadvantage to someone. There will be a learning curve, that is for sure, but that comes with anything.

Good luck with your training! :karate:

Ive always been under the impression that things gradually get worse with age. What do you base this statment on?

Look at an external art like Muay Thai or western boxing. Those styles entail that you be able to take a beating. Unfortunately, after getting punched in the face or kicked in the thigh so many times, your body loses its ability to recover. Internal arts like Aikido and Wing Chun are based on timing and sensitivity, which aren't diminished by use and age. Look at Yip Man, Morei Usheiba, or Shioda Gozo. They were proficient in their arts up until they died. You can't say the same for professional boxers like Muhammad Ali.

Those styles entail that you be able to take a beating. Unfortunately, after getting punched in the face or kicked in the thigh so many times, your body loses its ability to recover. Internal arts like Aikido and Wing Chun are based on timing and sensitivity, which aren't diminished by use and age.

Perhaps if we are talking about art only. But i find it hard to beleive that sensitivity would not decrease into old age?

Unfortunately, most things diminish with age, except wine!

Sensitivity, reaction time, etc, will diminish as well. However, if you continue to train them, as the aforementioned masters did, it will diminish at a much slower, perhaps un-noticible, rate.

You won't find an art that you gain an edge in by getting older, but you can find arts that are less demanding physically and more contemplative (and thus perhaps one that you could continue to practice well into your later years). Is this what you meant?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt