• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Barefeet or shoes?

I've been looking at some MA shoes that I would wear only there. That's about all I could get away with in MT, if I can even do that.

Oh ok. Ive never used shoes specifically for MA. Wear plain old runners most of the time when training or in normal life. Wear steel cap boots at work(i do enough shadow boxing when no-one is watching to know how it feels with boots on :D ). And flip flops on the odd occasion.

I would like to do some more training with my work boots on as well. They are definitely heavier, and will affect some of the things I do.

One thing I know for sure: If I get into a srap at work, it isn't going to be a TKD fight!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to do some more training with my work boots on as well. They are definitely heavier, and will affect some of the things I do.

One thing I know for sure: If I get into a srap at work, it isn't going to be a TKD fight!

Certainly, the weight alone adds a whole new dimension. Footwork and mobility is limited and any kicking technique apart from stomps and low line knees goes out the window.

Certainly, the weight alone adds a whole new dimension. Footwork and mobility is limited and any kicking technique apart from stomps and low line knees goes out the window.

Very true. I know that the Defensive Tactics that most street officers learn uses a low roundhouse kick, like the Thai kick. Other than that, if you go to kick anywhere else, you had better be able to justify it.

They maybe have a push kick as well. That stated, doing the roundhouse, even low, is a different challenge when wearing a duty belt full of gear.

That stated, doing the roundhouse, even low, is a different challenge when wearing a duty belt full of gear.

Thats true. The 3 leg techniques i focus on regardless of footwear are the thai round kick and push kick has you mentioned, and low line knees which tend to be easier to use and "safer" for yourself when mixing things up.

I got in a fight about 10 years ago with my roommate when we were each wearing 40 lbs of full flight gear. It was just after a flight where some colorful things happen that I wasn't happy about. It devolved into a lot of shoving because neither one of us could move very well. Other guys broke it up, but it was...interesting.

As far as kicks, I like the low roundhouse; the front push and snap kicks; and the back kick if someone is behind me. I never like to turn my back on an opponent in order to kick.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I do not believe that people who train bare feet are at a disadvantage when defending themself's when wearing shoes. I have done most of my kicking training without shoes and even at the police academy and in the military they have you remove your shoes to protect the floor. I have only thrown 2 kicks in a self defense situation and both were effective and I was wearing shoes.

Victory or a reasonable alternative.

Regular shoes hurt your partner when training. I like the idea of MA shoes, though.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Ah, yes, the knee strike is a good idea as well. Which do you prefer, the roundhouse type of knee, or the straight in, front knee?

Dont really have a preference, depends on what position your in obviously but straight are usually sharper and all aimed around thigh level.

Regular shoes hurt your partner when training. I like the idea of MA shoes, though.

This depends on what kind of training your doing. If you are doing sports type training with a variety of kicks aimed at mid and upper body targets then i can see how shoes would be a problem, but in self defence training there is little room for such techniques so it isnt really an issue.

• 1 month later...