• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Barefeet or shoes?

I prefer to train barefooted, just as I prefer to walk barefooted, it's just often not an option. I do think that you train your foot positions better in respect to kicks if you train barefoot, even if it's different with shoes on.

I agree with you all the way. Sometimes, it depends on the shape and size of your feet. Everybody's feet is different. Mine are a bit wide from the front and narrow on the back. I use to lose balance when I would shift my weight when doing kata and keep my waist tight so I wouldn't lose balance. This is when I'm in bare feet. With shoes on, it's a bit more convenient.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our club we all train in shoes. Whilst on the mat we change to mat shoes. We train this way because outside we wear shoes. Some people say train in bare feet & condition your feet, why do this? Our feet are designed to carry us for the rest of our lives so keeping your shoes on protects the very things that keep us moving.

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

Some people say train in bare feet & condition your feet, why do this? Our feet are designed to carry us for the rest of our lives so keeping your shoes on protects the very things that keep us moving.

I don't know if I'm too keen on this logic. While I completely understand if someone wants to train in shoes (I even do on occassion). However saying that doing so is to protect your feet because they carry you thoughout life would be like advocating wearing mittens to protect your hands as we use them all throughout life to grab objects and manipluate them.

Well, yeah! In a self defense situation you definately are in need of shoes. No doubt about that. If you're in a self defense situation where you have no shoes on is entirely ludacris. Thanks for the welcome. :wink:

Not too ludacris, it's happened to me.

For what it's worth, I now usually only train barefoot in BJJ. In JKD, Krav maga, etc. I am usually wearing wrestling shoes.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I'm interested in training in shoes for practical and hygienic reasons. Does anyone have any favorites?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I'm interested in training in shoes for practical and hygienic reasons. Does anyone have any favorites?

Look at your current shoe collection and work out the most common kind of footwear you use. From there it should be pretty easy to decide what to wear.

I've been looking at some MA shoes that I would wear only there. That's about all I could get away with in MT, if I can even do that.

I've been looking at some MA shoes that I would wear only there. That's about all I could get away with in MT, if I can even do that.

Oh ok. Ive never used shoes specifically for MA. Wear plain old runners most of the time when training or in normal life. Wear steel cap boots at work(i do enough shadow boxing when no-one is watching to know how it feels with boots on :D ). And flip flops on the odd occasion.

These are apparently very popular, from Five Elements. It is the old Converse patent remanufactured under a new label.

http://www.valleymartialarts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

Here's the thread: http://www.karateforums.com/ma-shoes-vt26060-10.html

How many out there like to practice with thier feet? After a serious infection that I cuaght years back from a dojo, I grew

against training in bare feet. Why? because I believed it was very

unsanitary and alot of people's feet are very dirty. Also, the risk of diseases and infections are always a risk. I remember I had caught a very bad infection due to the floor in the dojo I went to being collected from dirt, sweat and other stuff.

I did not know one could catch an infection from training with bare feet.

I'll do both. If I'm at the school, I usually have bare feet or socks on. But it's a reletively clean place. When I'm training by myself, I'll do bare feet or shoes, whichever I am in the mood for. Training with shoes is more realistic to a defense situation. However, training with bare feet can condition the parts of your feet better. So I do both and get the best of both worlds.

However that is interesting how you can get an infection from training with bare feet.