Barefeet or shoes?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly do not think that training barefoot or not is that important. Nobody is going to be thinking "oh no, I have my shoes on!" in a true self defense situation. Your adrenaline and your senses are going to be in super overdrive if ever attacked. As for training in shoes, did you ever get thrown on the floor after people have walked across leaving little pebbles scattered about, it stinks. And for aesthetic purposes, clean the floors every night. That is what we do and no one has ended up with any severe foot fungus in all the years we have had our dojo open.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I truly do not think that training barefoot or not is that important. Nobody is going to be thinking "oh no, I have my shoes on!" in a true self defense situation.

When you consider that the majority of the time you are likely to be attacked, you will have shoes on, why do some many classes train in barefeet? For tradition purposes most likely.

Your correct, you wont think "oh no, i have my shoes on" but that doesnt mean you dont need to train while wearing shoes. Alot of movement and technique is different when you throw shoes and uneven terrain into the mix.

Your adrenaline and your senses are going to be in super overdrive if ever attacked.

Adrenaline increases, senses decrease, gross motor skills take over. The less new things you have to experience in a self defence situation the better. Shoes are a common thing in modern life, if you style doesnt adapt to modern times and trends within society, you are leaving out alot of things that you will have to discover in the heat of conflict.

Ill ask again, for the females, how often(if ever) do you train wearing any sort of heal or shoe that you are likely to wear when your out and about? If the answer is never, you are leaving out a big part of self defence training.

As for training in shoes, did you ever get thrown on the floor after people have walked across leaving little pebbles scattered about, it stinks.

I think its a good thing in a way. In a self defence situation a little pebble is gunna be the least of your worries when it comes to environmental factors.

You are most likely to be wearing shoes in a self defense situation, but there are times where you might have to fight barefoot. On the beach, at a swimming pool, in a locker room or in your own house at night.

Does that mean training 90%(100% in most cases) barefoot, has seen in most dojos, is the most effective and realistic way?

I wasn't saying that, I'm just saying that you shouldn't train 100% one way or 100% the other way.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Well, put it this way. Say you get into a serious matter where you will have to fight. The guy has boots on and you have flip flops on. Who's most likely going to win? Definately the guy with the boots on. Because you can't fight in flip flops. :lol:

However, with enough training in barefeet and depending how tough your feet are whether you're on concrete or soft ground, you're better taking them off, and fight. It's also a good habit to practice in barefeet outside on solid ground as in some schools do so. This way, 55 to 60 % of your worries will be lost and you won't have to worry about losing in combat barefooted. :wink:

Well, put it this way. Say you get into a serious matter where you will have to fight. The guy has boots on and you have flip flops on. Who's most likely going to win? Definately the guy with the boots on. Because you can't fight in flip flops.

I used to do alot of bag work in flip flops, on gravel. Footing was a little different. But it was still pretty easy to maintain balance.

However, with enough training in barefeet and depending how tough your feet are whether you're on concrete or soft ground, you're better taking them off, and fight.

Time is something you dont have alot of in a real fight. If you can take them off while hitting the guy, then maybe. Otherwise, forget it.

Your correct, you wont think "oh no, i have my shoes on" but that doesnt mean you dont need to train while wearing shoes. Alot of movement and technique is different when you throw shoes and uneven terrain into the mix.

The same is true when you are wearing regular street clothes as well. I know that I can't do near as many techniques when I am wearing my work gear. All the gear that hangs on the belt really restricts what you can do.

The same is true when you are wearing regular street clothes as well. I know that I can't do near as many techniques when I am wearing my work gear. All the gear that hangs on the belt really restricts what you can do.

Good point. rarely(if ever) will a person be wearing clothes that are loose has a gi.