• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boards

So when did board breaking come into style? Did it come from iron body training initially? Or was it always (as it is now) for show?

(PS if there are any 'Far Side' fans out there....remember the Karate class cartoon? I think that's a good example of how breaking things is equated with martial skill in the layman's eyes)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So when did board breaking come into style? Did it come from iron body training initially? Or was it always (as it is now) for show?

(PS if there are any 'Far Side' fans out there....remember the Karate class cartoon? I think that's a good example of how breaking things is equated with martial skill in the layman's eyes)

Wasn't it popular for show during the 70's ninja craze?

Is that the "opportunity to save the town" cartoon? :lol: :lol:

Is that the "opportunity to save the town" cartoon? :lol: :lol:

haha, yes that's the one! I'd post it but copyright and all that you know...

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I know that General Choi used destruction as a way of demonstrating technique and power. I am not sure who started it, though.

Was he the guy who started TKD?

~Theodore Roosevelt

I know that General Choi used destruction as a way of demonstrating technique and power. I am not sure who started it, though.

Was he the guy who started TKD?

Well, he technically didn't really start Taekwondo. He was on the comittee that was working to bring together all of the Korean kwans in order to establish a base art to be the National Martial Art of Korea. If memory serves me right, there were 5 major kwans involved, and one of them that was opposing this push was Whang Kee's Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do kwan (I am not sure if he called it this at the time, and I may have mispelled his name; no disrespect intended). General Choi came up with the name Taekwondo for the new national art, and is thus held resposible for most of the push to combine the remaining kwans.

I think this is why there is dislike between TKD and TSD grand masters, at least earlier on.

TKD has heavy roots in Shotokan, and therefore is similar, other than the emphasis put on kicking.

I have different feeling about board breaking. I think alot of it is for show. I cant stand watching those fancy sport karate tournaments broadcasted on the sports channel where men are breaking everything with all their body parts. I don't think it proves that someone is good at an art, just good at breaking. However, I do agree with my instructor when he uses it in training. He says it is a good idea to get the feel of hitting something hard. When he teaches about striking properly, you wouldnt believe how many people realize they are not striking properly because they cannot break a board, or have bruised the wrong knuckles.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I have different feeling about board breaking. I think alot of it is for show. I cant stand watching those fancy sport karate tournaments broadcasted on the sports channel where men are breaking everything with all their body parts. I don't think it proves that someone is good at an art, just good at breaking. However, I do agree with my instructor when he uses it in training. He says it is a good idea to get the feel of hitting something hard. When he teaches about striking properly, you wouldnt believe how many people realize they are not striking properly because they cannot break a board, or have bruised the wrong knuckles.

I agree with you here, Jaymac. Breaking can be good for demonstration of technique and power. Breaking tons of bricks looks cool, but isn't for me.

Edited by bushido_man96