• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where do I find tournaments?

Hi- to introduce myself, I'm Eric. I'm 20 and have been taking Taekwondo for 4 months and am currently an orange belt.

I have a question about tournaments. I'm really interested in entering tournaments for sparring, forms, and weapon forms. Where do I find them? I attended a korean arts (kido championship) in november, but where do I find ones that collect points etc. The only ones that I have heard about are the AOK events. I live in the Dallas metro. And which ones are good? I see some require chest protectors, and others don't. Any tips etc?

-Eric

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, welcome to the Forums! :karate:

As for your tournaments, I don't know of any that accrue points. Your Olympic style tournaments will just get you qualified if you win a state championship, or place second, I think.

The ATA circuit runs on a point system, but you have to be an ATA member to compete with them.

As for Open Tournies, I don't have much experience with them, so I can't offer much help there.

Eric7_27, Welcome. There is an AAU TKD tourney on 3/3/07 in Houston. I don't know how they score because I compete in the AAU Karate program up in the NY/NJ area. Check the web sites for the AAU. They are a big organization and there is usually something happening some where you cn get to. The only other ones I know of are up here in the NE. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays