Is "bouncing" while sparring wrong?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess somebody should tell Bill Wallace that he shouldn't have won all of those fights because he was doing it wrong from a technical perspective. Personally, I don't bounce, it feels totally wrong for me, but the fact is that it worked for some awsome fighters.

Edited by danbong

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

I missed where I said that it doesn't work for some people... where did I say that? the thread question is "is 'bouncing' while sparring wrong?" and the technical answer, as I stated is yes. what people do as personal preference is beyond the scope of the question.

I missed where I said that it doesn't work for some people... where did I say that? the thread question is "is 'bouncing' while sparring wrong?" and the technical answer, as I stated is yes. what people do as personal preference is beyond the scope of the question.
There's no such thing as a "technical" answer. If it works, it's "technically" right for those people.

There's no such thing as a "technical" answer. If it works, it's "technically" right for those people.

so technically, "ain't" is a real word and is grammatically correct? No. It's slang... incorrect, but people use it. Same goes for anything. Just because a person does it doesn't make it right, just means it works for said person.

so technically, "ain't" is a real word and is grammatically correct? No. It's slang... incorrect, but people use it. Same goes for anything. Just because a person does it doesn't make it right, just means it works for said person.

So who is the technical authority on whether bouncing is correct?

I would have to see what each person is doing on video or in person to determine what is effective or not.

Bobbing side to side while maintaining the same center of gravity is fine, as is shifting the position of your feet back and forth in an effort to confuse your opponent as to what you are doing, or to close the gap.

But just plain bouncing up and down, doesn't make alot of sense, and I would tell my students to stop such a waste.

later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

So who is the technical authority on whether bouncing is correct?

the style dictates it, so thus the founders I would imagine.

You mention "the founders," and it takes me back to style. I wonder if bouncing would be similar to what the jenga is to Capoeira. Would this be unnecessary motion as well? It is good for the dance, and getting your body going to generate momentum, but would you want to break out in a jenga, a-la Only the Strong, when defending yourself?

ive found that i can time someone when they bounce better than when they dont. meaning i can hit them more when they bounce. ive tries to bounce before and i get hit when im in the peak of my bounce. the upside of bouncing is that you keep your opponent guessing. i move to keep my opponent guessing rather that bounce.

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.