• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is "bouncing" while sparring wrong?

if you bounce, then you are commited to a set timing. Anyone who is good enough can dirupt your timing and take you while you are not grounded. Ive seen a lot of knock downs done this way is point sparring matches; catch them when they can't do anything.

Only if you allow yourself to... I agree that if you always move back and forth at the same tempo you can be anticipated, but you can also mix it up or use it to bait someone.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can bounce and incorporate other aspects of footwork at the same time. This will help to keep you from falling into a pattern. You can also use Bruce Lee's concept of broken rhythm to offset the chance that you will get "timed" while bouncing.

I tend to switch between staying still and bouncing.

I focus my energy into my legs while standing still and when my opponent comes near me I usually lash out with my leg. As soon as I lash out I move out the way.

It took me a lot of practice to get myself any good at this so just practice switching from time to time - it makes your fighting "irregular" and thus confuses your opponent :D

"...to stand between the candle and the shining moon..."

As long as it's intentional and varied, to me that sounds like reasonable strategy. Do your opponents ever learn that when they move toward you while you are standing still, that you "usually" lash out with your leg and then move away? That could be a bit predictable.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what the purpose of your training is.

If you're trying to learn how to fight, then dont bounce. As someone stated earlier in the topic, shifting your weight from foot to foot is fine, thats not bouncing- its the up and down movement thats going to cost you.

The reason people bounce when they spar is because its essentially a game of tag. Being light on your feet allows you to be a little quicker, at the expense of power. You're not going to hit with any power if you dont have a foot on the ground to generate that power. The videos posted are still all point sparring. Even continuous sparring is still point sparring- you're gauging who wins based on number of hits. If you're concerned about fighting, keep your feet in contact with the ground.

I paid attention to this the other night to see if I do what I think I do, which is not bounce. I don't. I spend my time moving around and positioning myself for attack and defense. I really don't think much about my footwork during sparring, though I probably should.

None of the other guys in my MT class are bouncers either.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 4 weeks later...

I do bounce a bit, but I'm trying to cut down on it. Most of the fighters in my dojo are bouncers. The new guy isn't and fighting him sure is different! I'd say he's the best fighter, bar sensei and maybe one other guy, in the dojo. And he never bounces.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing