• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open Tournaments

I am really interested in doing some of these. I have only ever competed in ITF vs. ITF tournaments, usually vs. people from the same school as me or affiliate schools. I want to get into some diversity and see what i can do vs. other styles. Anyone have any experiences in open tournaments they care to share?

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

See if you can find a schedule of events in and around your area. Also, get the rules and regulations for each tournament that you plan to attend, so that you can train accordingly. You may even be able to make some friends with students of the host school, and this would allow you some training advantages.

Good luck, and let us know what you get figured out. :karate:

well im going to be stereotypical... but here goes...

wushu, fast hands work on getting there first

karate, mixes it up gets cocky quickly work on solid crisp techniques out do some of the added flash and speed

TKD, kicks and loves to watch you kick, constantly twitch ure front leg and raise ure knee slightly, attack with lots of hand techniques

kempo, havnt had much experience but kick and chamber for another kick lots.. kick their chambered leg to offbalance them and then go in for quick attacks..

i hope i got the main ones, like i said these are stereotypes mixed in with what i myself have seen in the many open style tournaments that i have gone to... people say this is stereotypical and not true as well but for the tournament circuit it is 100% true... small guy = speed... they train for this... make sure to use lots of kicks against people smaller than you.. it will help keep them away

good luck and let us know how it goes for u

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

There is an AAU TKD tourney in Maritta, Ga., on 1/27 & it looks like another qualifier on 2/24. I don't know much about them because I compete in the AAU Karate tournaments. The karate tournaments are the most organized I have seen in my 36 yrs. in the arts. I would give them a try. Or do like the other guys said check out the local ones. get as much info you can before you go so you know what to train for.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom