• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Song of Ice and Fire

A_Train

A Game of Thrones; Bran

Eddard, Robert, and many of the party are out on a hunt. Bran was told to say his goodbyes today, because the next day, they are to leave for the South. Bran tries to say goodbye to a few people, but becomes teary-eyed, and runs off. Instead, he decides to go climbing. He notes that he has not named his wolf yet; Rickon's is Shaggydog, and Robb's is Grey Wind. Sansa named her's Lady (fitting), and Arya's is Niemeria.

Key events/notes: During his climb around an abandonded part of the castle, he heres voices. They are talking about his father, and he tries to get closer to hear without being spotted. The voices are discussing how they don't like the idea of Eddard becoming the Hand of the King, and that his loyalty to Robert will be a problem. They also discuss Lysa Arryn, Cat's sister, and Jon Arryn's widow. There is talk of proof of something, but not what (the legitimacy of Cersie's children to Robert). Finally, Bran looks around to see who is talking, and he finds Cersei, the Queen, and Jaime, of the Kingsguard, together, kissing and talking. The Queen notices Bran, and he gets startled, slips, but is caught by Jaime. After pulling him up, Jaime casts him out the window.

Before he went climbing, Bran's wolf would howl at him as he started. As Bran was falling, he could her his wolf howling still.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Game of Thrones; Tyrion

Key events: After a night in the library of Winterfell, which holds many rare works, Tyrion goes down to have breakfast. It has been 4 days since Bran fell, and the parties to leave have not yet. Robert stays with Eddard. As Tyrion climbs down the stairs, he meets Clegane and Joffery. Joffery makes some crude remarks, and Tyrion tells him that he should give Ned and Cat his condolences. Joff refuses, and Tyrion responds by slapping him across the face. Joff demonstrates his cruelty with his words, and he tells Tyrion that he will "tell Mother." Surprisingly, the Hound, stands by, and says nothing about Tyrion's actions. Tyrion then goes to have breakfast with his brother and sister. When Tyrion told the chidren that Bran should live, he notices the glance between Cersei and Tyrion. He is observant, and suspects what happened.

We learn that Cersei has no love for Tyrion, but that Jaime does. Tommen and Myrcella are very loving children, where as Joffery is pompous and arrogant, thinking only of himself. Tyrion also knows how to get under Cersie's skin, and kind of revels in it. Tyrion speaks of wanting to visit the Wall before they depart.

A Game of Thrones; Jon

Key notes: Jon is preparing to leave for the Wall, to take his place as a member of the Night's Watch. He goes to say goodbye to Bran, who is in a comatose state after his fall. Cat has been standing vigil since Bran fell, and Jon was reluctant to go. When he gets there, Cat showers him with nothing but spite, and even goes as far as to say that "it should have been you." He then says goodbye to Robb, and Robb hugs him. Lastly, he says goodbye to Arya, and gives her a present. The gift is a sword that Jon made for her. It is smaller than the regular swords of the Seven Kingdoms, and Jon says it is like those used by the Braavos of the Free Citys (foreshadowing, here, I think). The name of the weapon is Needle. It seems that Jon and Arya have much in common, including their ability to judge people, and use their heads; aside from their looks.

A Game of Thrones; Daenerys

Key event: The wedding of Khal Drogo to Dany. We learn more about the culture of the Dothraki. They would appear barbaric to most. At the feast, Dany is seated in a place of honor above her vendictive brother, who doesn't cope with it well. All he wants is his promise; an army to attack the Seven Kingdoms with. Dany tells us that Ser Jorah Mormont has pledged his sword to Viserys, and has been with them since that night she was offered to Drogo. Dany is given gifts at the wedding, and she receives a silver filly from Drogo. Drogo and Dany seem to connect a little after she rides it. From Illyrio, she receives 3 dragon eggs, which he claims are petrified (but we know better :wink: ). After the feast, Dany begins to learn that Drogo can be gentle, and even kind; much different than the barbarism that appears to be all that shows. He seems to give off an air of royalty.

A Game of Thrones; Eddard

This is a good chapter. We learn the name of Jon's mother, Wylla, Ned admits (not Ashara??). Ned and Robert bicker a while in this chapter. Ned's pride and honor glows here, as does Robert's stubborness and brashness. Ned's pride and honor can seem to get in the way of his judgement, at times. He speaks of his dishonor of Cat, along with his views on some other events as well.

Key Events/Notes: Robert received a rider at night. He got a letter from Varys, the king's master of secrets. He stated that Jorah Mormont is working as a spy in the Free Cities, where he fled to 5 years ago, for getting into the slave business. Ned does not like Ser Jorah. Anyhow, Ser Jorah is working to earn a pardon by spying on Dany and Viserys. Robert talks of his outright hatred for the Targaryens, and his fear of this new wedding. We also learn some new things about House Lannister, and how they were treacherous in the dealings with the Mad King towards the end of the war. They took the castle by treachery, Ned stated, and he told Robert how he found Jaime sitting on the throne after he had slain the Mad King, thus betraying his honor as a Kingsguard. Robert also states that he has planned to name Jaime Warden of the East, in Jon Arryn's place.

This was a major information chapter, and I may have missed something.

Theres not much to say about the last couple of chapters as they are still just introductions really. But Eddard's shares a bit of new information. It mentions that Wylla was the name of Jon's mother, not Ashara as many others had thought (as Ashara was an old love of Ned's.) Despite Eddard naming Wylla as the mother (and it being confirmed later in the book by another character, also named Ned) I doubt it to be true. I think if you read the books closely this time, you will see that there are hints to whom Jons tru mother is.

Another thing worth pointing out is that while Catelyn often distanced herself from Jon and made him feel less then welcome, her treatment of him in Bran's room was an out of the ordinary experience.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

Theres not much to say about the last couple of chapters as they are still just introductions really. But Eddard's shares a bit of new information. It mentions that Wylla was the name of Jon's mother, not Ashara as many others had thought (as Ashara was an old love of Ned's.) Despite Eddard naming Wylla as the mother (and it being confirmed later in the book by another character, also named Ned) I doubt it to be true. I think if you read the books closely this time, you will see that there are hints to whom Jons tru mother is.

I remember the instance that happened later on, but vaguely. Something about Sam, I think, meeting a "milk brother" of Jon's??? So, you think that it may be Ashara, and that Ned was just telling that to Robert to get him to shut up?

Another thing worth pointing out is that while Catelyn often distanced herself from Jon and made him feel less then welcome, her treatment of him in Bran's room was an out of the ordinary experience.

It was different because Jon had no choice but to approach. It was pretty well laid out that Cat has no use for Jon, I think. She even feels that he is a threat to her trueborn children, if not indirectly (down the line). I think what upsets her the most is that Jon resembles Ned more than any of the other children, save for Arya.

Also of note, Cat stated at Bran's bed that she prayed and prayed that Bran would stay...and that sometimes you get what you want. Jon tried to console her, but she was bitter and rash with him.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, A-Train.

I actually lent my book to a co-worker, because I got him a tad interested in it. So, when he gets done with it, I will be back on the ball.