• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Song of Ice and Fire

A_Train

I remember after reading Dany's first chapter, that I viewed both her and her brother as villains, and continued to view most if not all mention of Targaryeons past and present as villains. While even now I am not a huge fan of Danys, I have softened on her a bit since my first read.

Who was the man from Tyrosh? I don't remember him.

In Eddards chapter, I think it is interesting to note that Edd lacks the hatred for Rhaegar that Robert has. Or perhaps he is just more calm about it, though it is clearly displayed at another point in the book when the two discuss him again.

who apparently died as a result of something Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was responsible for.

Hmmmmm...

Was it in this chapter that Ned recalls her saying: Promise me, Ned...

I enjoyed Jons chapter as it gives a first glimpse into the wit and inteligence of Tyrion Lannister. He quotes with Jon at the end are perfect. I never viewed him as a hunchback, just a dwarfed person with a large head, and stunted legs that make his walking awkward.

I find the somersault her performs in the air whilst jumping down from the ledge to be completley out of character from anything else was have seen of him.[/i]

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points on Tyrion, even the description. I felt the somersault was odd, as well, as he does nothing else like it again.

You are correct on Ned's quote.

As for Dany, I feel better about her as well. I have also softened my stance towards Jaime, too. It is weird, but I have to keep reminding myself what he did to Bran...

A Game of Thrones; Catelyn

In this chapter, we learn a bit about Jon's mother. It may have been Ashara Dayne, the sister of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, of King Aerys' kingsguard (his best, it is said), who Eddard defeated in single combat, and returned to Ashara to lay the sword at her feet. When Cat learned of this through rumor, she asked about it. Ned silenced all rumors, and stated that it should never be brought up again. Apparently, while married and off to war, Eddard fathered this child, while Cat sat at Winterfell, nursing Robb. Ned and Cat discuss how ruling was not meant for Ned; it was meant for Brandon, the firstborn. Brandon would have known what to do. Brandon's shadow lie over him with Cat, as does the unknown mother of Jon.

Key Events/Notes: Eddard has decided that he will turn down the offer of Hand of the King from Robert. This bothers Cat, as she remembers the direwolf, killed by the dear antler, and thinks that this decision would offend Robert.

Maester Luwin, a small, grey, old man, delivers a message that he recieved, he believes from someone within the King's party. It is in a hidden form, and is from Cat's sister, Lysa. It states that Jon Arryn was murdered by the Lannisters. Now, Ned must go south with Robert, to show his loyalty, and not stir up suspicions. It would also allow him to investigate the murder of Jon Arryn. Ned decides that Cat would stay in Winterfell, along with Rickon and Robb, who would soon rule. Sansa (betrothed to Jofferey), Arya, and Bran would go south with Ned. Cat will not have anything to do with Jon staying, and Luwin states his interest to go to serve in the Night's Watch. This disturbs Ned, but it is the only alternative.

Just a note, Eddard didn't beat Dayne in single combat, I believe it is 7 vs 3, and only 2 of the seven survive. And it is noted that Arthur would have killed Stark if it were not for Howland Reed.

I think we will be seeing Reed in the 6th or 7th book, and he will have a lot of light of shed on the series. There is much he could know.

As for Jaime, he is extremely entertaining to read. I too remind myself of what he did to Bran (and Jory), and try to root against the Kingslayer.

But at other times I find it frustrating when no one trusts Jaime because of his past (Brienne and Bryden Tully)

Just a note, Eddard didn't beat Dayne in single combat, I believe it is 7 vs 3, and only 2 of the seven survive. And it is noted that Arthur would have killed Stark if it were not for Howland Reed.

I think we will be seeing Reed in the 6th or 7th book, and he will have a lot of light of shed on the series. There is much he could know.

Yes, I recall his flashback when he is in the prison tower, with the fever from his broken leg. We hear so much of Howland Reed, the little Cranogman, and I am so interested in him. His children are very interesting characters, as well. I do hope we see him in the later books, and hope that he sticks around for a while. Perhaps in the aid of Bran.

Thinking of the books to follow, I can't help but to think that one of the titles might have something to do with the arrival of Winter.

Just a question for ya, A-Train. I was hoping to keep these little posts short and sweet, but I seem unable to do so. Do you think they are too long-winded for summaries? If they bore you, let me know! I love the story so much, I may include too much un-important information.

I do believe one of the suspected titles for the 6th books is 'The Winds of Winter' while the final book is projected to be called 'A Dream of Spring'

I'm guessing the winds of winter is a downer of a book, and does not end on a high note.

And I don't find your summaries too longwinded, so long as we are talking about A Song of Ice and Fire you won't be able to bore me. I love talking about your thoughts on any of the chapters, or characters, so anytime you have a new topic for discussion, post it in here.

And I don't find your summaries too longwinded, so long as we are talking about A Song of Ice and Fire you won't be able to bore me. I love talking about your thoughts on any of the chapters, or characters, so anytime you have a new topic for discussion, post it in here.

Great, thanks!

A Game of Thrones: Arya

Although there aren't a lot of key events that happen in this chapter, we do learn a little bit about a few people.

This is our first real encounter with Arya, the nine year old sister of the Stark children. She looks more like the Starks than the Tullys, and she always felt somewhat alienated for it. For this reason, she always felt close to Jon.

We learn that Sansa is the perfect young lady; she is pretty, and does things elegantly, like sew, write poetry, etc. She seems the stereotypical queen-to-be. Arya is rough around the edges, and wants to do more of what the men do, than the ladies. She even expresses an interest in learning swordplay. This figures in later.

Key Event: Arya goes to watch the boys fight in the yard. There, we learn some things about Prince Joffery's attitudes. He is arrogant, pompous, and likes to belittle people. Apparently, he and Robb battled for a time, and it seemed that Robb got the better of the Prince. The Prince refused to spar again, unless it was with live blades. Ser Rodrick Cassel, the master-at-arms of Winterfell, refuses this, for reasons of safety. Joffery continues to poke and prod at Robb, which gets him angry, and Theon Greyjoy restrains him from taking after the Prince. Of the men attending Joff, his personal guard, Sandor Clegane (known as the Hound), adds fuel to the fire with his words. Arya makes note of Clegane's terribly burned face.

Anything to add, A-Train?