• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Song of Ice and Fire

A_Train

I think this may be a good idea for helping you keep track, even after reading the books multiple times I still get some characters mixed up, like those damn Kettlebacks!

The funny thing is, the first tiem I read thhese books, I pretty much forgot about this prolgue until my second read. The books start with a big fantasy feel, an then quickly drop into a more realistic medevil/political setting. It does make for a good opener though.

I agree. I loved the realistic setting at first, and then the gradual onpooring of the more fantastic. There is really a good balance.

How many Kettlebacks are there? Or is it Kettleblack? :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Game of Thrones; Bran

We meet the Starks of Winterfell (their banner bears a Dire Wolf). We learn that they do things differently than the other peoples of the kingdom. They still have "the blood of the first men" in their veins, and their ways are the old ways.

Seeing the story through Bran's eyes, who is 7, the men of the family are out to see their father, Lord Eddard Stark (aka Ned), behead a Man of the Night's Watch for deserting. Incidentally, the man being beheaded bears semblence to Gared, from the prologue.

Eddard has 3 sons with him, Bran, and also Robb Stark, and his illegitimate son, Jon Snow, who appear to be the same age (14). Robb, the trueborn son, bears semblence to his mother (of house Tully), and Jon bears more semblence of Eddard; tall, quiet, solemn, dark hair and skin. Bran also mentions that his grey eyes are sharp, and he rarely misses anything. Robb, is shorter, but more muscled, with auburn hair, and fair. However, they show love for each other. We learn a little bit about the naming system used for children born out of wedlock, like Jon.

Key events/notes: We learn some of the honor and integrity of Eddard, and House Stark in general. On their return to Winterfell (their stronghold), Robb and Jon discover a dead dire wolf that has borne pups. Eddard has 6 children, counting Jon. They find only five pups. Jon excludes himself, and basically tells Eddard that the pups were meant for his children. In looking for what killed the wolf, Eddard finds an antler broken off in its throat. For some reason, everyone is quieted by this. They gather the pups, and head back. Jon hears something, and rides back; he returns with a 6th pup, which is an albino, and is the only pup with its eyes open. Enough for all 6 Stark children.

Upon reading this section again, this event foreshadows so much in the story, especially about some of the demeanors and attributes of some of these characters.

Anything to add, A-train??

A Game of Thrones; Catelyn

We meet Catelyn Stark, Eddard's wife. She if of House Tully of Riverrun. She comes from a warmer place, much like spring, as opposed to the winter that Winterfell and much of the North is. Catelyn remarks more on the family Stark, their old ways, and the Northerners in general.

Key events/notes: Ned is in the godswood, cleaning his blade, Ice (forged of Valryian steel, with magic as well), and reflecting on the man he beheaded. Ned states that the man was half-mad, and full of fear, echoing what Jon had mentioned previously. He states that he may have to eventually ride with an army beyond the wall to fight the wildling King-Beyond-the-Wall, Mance Rayder. Catelyn alludes to the others, which Ned scoffs at, but then mentions the fact that Dire wolfs weren't supposed to exist anymore, either.

Catelyn makes a note about how Ned doesn't believe in signs, thinking of the Dire Wolf and the pups, and how it died. She brings word that a man named Jon Arryn of the Eyrie is dead. Jon Arryn was like a father to Eddard, and also becames his brother-in-law, through Catelyn's sister, Lysa.

Also mentioned in the news is that the King, Robert Baratheon, is coming with his house and court to visit Eddard and his house. This makes Ned extremely happy. Ned and Robert grew up together under Jon Arryn, who protected them from the previous king, the Mad King Aerys II Targaryen, who wanted them beheaded. In mentioning Robert's wife and family (two brothers, last name Lannisters, of Casterly Rock), he tends to be irritated at their coming. He trusts them not, for some reason. :wink:

On Kettlebacks, there are four and I can hardly keep them separate in my mind; Osmund, Osney and Osfrey are the siblings, and they have a father, but I forget his name right now.

On Bran's chapter, I think the most significant foreshadowing is the fact that there is a dead direwolf (the banner of the Starks) with the broken antler of a stag (banner of the Baratheons) in its throat that had killed it. Had I been more attentive on my first read through, I may not have been so shocked at the passing of the heads of both those houses. The books are full of hints like that.

Not much to mention about the Catelyn Chapter except that in the early goings of the series, I figured Ned to be the stereotypical hero good guy who overcame all odds with his campy, honorable style. My how things changed before the end of this book.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

On Bran's chapter, I think the most significant foreshadowing is the fact that there is a dead direwolf (the banner of the Starks) with the broken antler of a stag (banner of the Baratheons) in its throat that had killed it. Had I been more attentive on my first read through, I may not have been so shocked at the passing of the heads of both those houses. The books are full of hints like that.

I agree. I didn't want to lead in too much, in case lordtariel was lurking about, wanting to read the books. :) On my first read, I picked up on that pretty quick, I think, once I learned of the Baratheon banner.

Not much to mention about the Catelyn Chapter except that in the early goings of the series, I figured Ned to be the stereotypical hero good guy who overcame all odds with his campy, honorable style. My how things changed before the end of this book.

So did I. I was so disappointed. He was my favorite character, too.

Incidentally, why do you think the story begins with Bran? Why begin by looking at an execution being told through the eyes of a 7 year old?

Is lordtariel reading this thread before reading the books? Thats probably not the best idea, but we could try to keep it spoiler free if thats the case, and just keep the discussion up to the points he has reached.

Incidently, everytime I see lordtariels name, I always think of Lord Tyrell. Odd.

As for why the story starts with Bran, I don't know. I don't think there is any significance to it. The chapter is not overly exciting, it just introduces us to a few characters and their differences.

EDIT:

I just went back and noticed lordtariels thread in here.

I had missed that post the first time through, whoops.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

Incidently, everytime I see lordtariels name, I always think of Lord Tyrell. Odd.

I know! I used to, as well. :P

As for why the story starts with Bran, I don't know. I don't think there is any significance to it. The chapter is not overly exciting, it just introduces us to a few characters and their differences.

I have wondered. The further along the books get, the fewer Starks that remain. I don't know if that will have a significance or not.

A Game of Thrones; Daenerys

Key Events/Notes: We meet Daenerys Targaryen, who is about to be betrothed to Khal Drogo, a barbarian horse lord, by her older brother Viserys, who wants hopes to gain Drogo's army by the marriage. He has visions of reclaiming the throne of Westeros, the Seven Kingdoms, that were taken from him when the Usurper and his dogs (Robert, the King, and Eddard Stark, among others), defeated his father's armies.

Dany and her brother live with Illyrio Mopatis, the Magister of the Free City of Pentos, who is helping Viserys to re-gain what is his. Dany does not trust him. Illyrio mentions that he has agents in other countries, including the Seven Kingdoms. The Free Cities are across the Braavosian Sea, far away from the Seven Kingdoms. The Tagaryens are of the Old Valaryian blood, and have wed within the family for generations. However, Dany is being courted outside of the family, in order for Viserys to regain his homeland. Viserys is coniving and untrustful, and very mean to Dany. He is a little off-kilter. Later in the chapter, we meet Ser Jorah Mormont, who is a banished knight of the Seven Kingdoms, the son of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Did I miss anything here?

We also meet Khal Moro (a rival of Drogo's, I believe) and his son, Rhogoro, and the brother of the Archon of Tyrosh (another Free City).

A Game of Thrones; Eddard

Robert and his court arrive in Winterfell. With him are Cersie (Robert's wife) and Jaime Lannister, twins, and the younger brother, Tyrion. Eddard and Robert have a hearty reunion. Ned notices that Robert has put on much weight since the last time they were together, putting down Balon Greyjoy's last rebellion, upon which Balon's son Theon became Ned's ward/hostage.

Key events/notes: Upon arrival, Robert asks to be taken to the Crypts of Winterfell, where he pays respects to Ned's sister Lyanna, who apparently died as a result of something Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was responsible for. Robert defeated Rhaegar in battle at the Trident. Lyanna and Robert were to be wedded. Brandon, Ned's older brother, was also ordered put to death by the Mad King Aerys Targaryen, while his father Rickard was forced to watch. Brandon was betrothed to Catelyn; Ned wed her in his stead.

Jon Arryn's death set on quick and mysteriously, and Lysa, Arryn's wife (Cat's sister) and her sickly son of 6 fled to the Eyrie. Robert asks Ned to come be the Hand of the King in Jon's place, the highest office of the land, next to King. He also asks to betroth Ned's daughter Sansa to his son, Joffery.

A Game of Thrones; Jon

We get descriptions of the Stark family, and the Baratheon family.

Starks: Robb, Rickon (youngest, 3), Bran, Sansa (12), Arya. We also meet Benjen Stark, Ned's younger brother, and a Man of the Night's Watch. We also meet Theon Greyjoy, the ward of Ned Stark.

Baratheons: Joffery, Myrcella (nearly 8 ), Tommen. All are blond haired, blue eyed, like the Lannisters.

Lannisters: Cersei and Jaime (twins, Jaime known as the Kingslayer); Tyrion, known as the Imp. Short and deformed, much like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, is the way I view him.

Jon describes each of these as they walk by, and he is very observant, reading into each as they walk and act; even his own family members. Benjen notes that Jon is keen, and says he would be great on the Night's Watch. Jon expresses his desire to go, but Benjen expects he doesn't know what it really requires, the duty of the Wall. Jon does not sit with the rest of the family, but he does not mind. After speaking with Ben, he is flustered (and has drank too much), and leaves the hall.

Key notes/events: Jon meets and speaks with Tyrion. We learn that Tyrion is not shy, but is brusque, and also perhaps as observant about things as Jon is. He knows who Jon is, as well. Ghost, Jon's direwolf pup, is leary of Tyrion, and may be just as observant as the two of them are.

Also...during the feast, Jon makes note of a singer he can barely hear, up near the front of the hall. This is a prominent figure...

Edited by bushido_man96