• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

northern praying mantis chi sao

I was just wondering if the Northern Praying Mantis styles do chi sao and if so does it work anything like it does in Wing Chun. If so, how; If not, then how does it differ? Also would it be possible for someone in praying mantis to chi sao with a wing chun practitioner without too much problem? I'm specifically looking for at the Plum Blossom, Six Harmony (Liu He), and Seven Star. Also if anyone could give me some inside info on some of these differ, that'd be lovely.

haha I realize this is a lot, but i'd be grateful for anyone with some info.

I practiced Wing Chun in Chicago, but now that im at UIUC in champaign I dont have a wing chun club to train at. The only seemingly good school here for kung fu seems to be praying mantis. I ask because I still want to train and chi sao with my old crew and im hoping that praying mantis might give me some variety... even though my friends have a nasty habit of making fun of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never heard of Mantis having chi sao like training but I could be wrong. I don't think that the styles would jive much in regards to energy drills like chi sao. I know southern Mantis adopts a similar stance but that's as close as it gets. Eventhough some techniques might look similar, I think the energy is different.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: is this chi sao stuff anythink like ki coz if it is all you really neen to know is the movements and ki should flow of it's own accord, I think people tend to put a bit too much emphasis on this subject, no doubt it works Ive done stuff like unbendable arm and becoming suddenly REALLY heavy using ki but I do wanna learn some more ki techniques, On a side note, those mantis practitioners are REALLY scary coz the never blibk during combat, I was fighting one once and nearly wet myself coz of the sheer expression on the guys face, it was like fighting a zombie or something, me being mainly a karate man just tried to puch or kick my way into his guard but something in his eyes was too..you know eerrr, i wonder if that's something to do with extreme ki training as well, either way it would be a treat to fight someone like that again just for the experience, now that I'm a bit older and everything, man they scare me

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish