The Karate Kid

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have a makiwara, you could substitute knuckle push-ups until you get one.
Good suggestion, in fact thats a really good starting point.

Thanks, Brandon! :D

What is the source of the article, rank, experience and all that is needed.

that article is from Rob Redmond, 3rd dan in Shotokan Karate, and served as the chief instructor of the Atlanta Karate Club from 1984-1999.

He tends to write no nonsense articles revealing the truth about karate. Im surprised you havnt heard of his website before.

Everyone has different opinions on makiwara training but it really depends on how they have used it. Some even claim they have used it extensively but in reality few have.

Certainly, in the end its up to the individual if they want to do it or not. I personally, from all the information i have read would much rather use a heavy bag and i am happy doing that. Just trying to provide the original poster with information from both sides of the fence so he can make an informed choice.

Cross,

True makiwara does cause callous on the knuckles but not always problems in later life. Depends on how you train on it. Alos they do harden the hands quite a bit allowing one to hit things much harder without damage to hand. But one thing people have to understand is it take years to develop this. Not weeks or months years if you want to do it correctly and not cause immediate damage to your hands. Note Makiwara training is not just for the knuckles, it is also used for kicking (instep Ball and toes), forearm, elbow, shuto, palms, and any other striking surface you can think of.

I would have to agree with mr.Fisher,although he left a lil'something out about exactly what proper Makiwara training does to your wrists.and I'll speak about what happens with good training and bad training.

a.) The foreknuckle,Most people have a bad habit of hitting with more middle knuckle than foreknuckle,#1hows this a problem? and #2how is it fixable?

1. if you use more middleknuckle it will lead you in to poor punching posture and weakin the bones in the hand and wrist,and that equals health problems later in life and a broken hand the first or even third time you have to hit anything or one.

2. this is one of the easiest problems to fix as easy as One two three,

step one:do some knuckle push ups on carpet-with the top two knuckles, and when you get done doing 5 or 10 take a knee,and look at your knuckles, if the top two knuckles on both hands are red and only the top two knuckles then you are ready to move on to the next step,but if the bottom three knuckles are red,then keep trying to do push ups on the top two knuckles,everyday until only the top two knuckles are red.

step two:find a wall and extend your arm,make a fist and touch it to the wall,and see wich knuckles touch,after doing step one enough both top knuckles should touch evenly,if not cock your fist to where your leading with the foreknuckle and watch your top two knuckles touch the wall evenly.and then move to step three.

step three:build or buy a Makiwara,Centuryfitness.com carries them for under $30 U.S. and mount your Makiwara at solarplexus level.for the first week of training tap punch it,over the next 3 months hit it about as hard as you would urgently knock on someones door,and after that third month is up start making contact but take it slow keep a beat with it 123 pop, 123pop, 123pop.

b.) the wrists, what happens to the wrist? how to make weak wrists stronger?

1.what happens to the wrist when you condition on the Makiwara Properly?

Well the cartilege inbetween the small bones in the hand an bones of the wrist and forearm will act as a pillow on the impact of your punch and as a result the shock to the bones in the wrist and forearm.

Ok now lets talk bones the bones of the human body are 80% hallow

and full of really small holes.wich is why the bone by its self only takes 7lbs. of pressure to snap.

now with that outta the way every hard punch you throw into a Makiwara creates a direct shock to the wrist,when this happen 60% of the shock is cusioned by the cartilege in the wrist the other 40% of the shock creates teny tiny fractures in those really smally holes in the bones of the wrists,the scar tissue that occurs fills these really small hard to see holes and makes for solid bone and this will after a decade or so of makiwara training make youe wrist and forearm bones 80% solid,Karate practitioners who properly train will seldom ever have any health problems as a result of properly training on the Makiwara.

2.)if you want to make your wrists stronger do push ups and take up Sai training it does the trick every time.

And before i go,please keep a slight bend in you elbow dont lock it out when you punch,this will save your shoulder and elbow a lot of greif in the future and will cut your chances in half of buckling your wrists on impact.

If you take any of these tips to heart i hope they work for you and help you get results,these tips are what i was taugh and what i teach,they have always given my students and myself great results and good luck on Makiwara training.