• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara Training

The Karate Kid

I really want to condition my fists to hit harder surfaces than punch bags, and i think the best way to do it is a traditional makiwara. do i have to build one and if so how?

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A really basic makiwara board would be a 2x4 or maybe a little bit bigger board wrapped in rope. Then you could build a platform for it, or put it in the ground.

This site has some good information on the makiwara.

https://www.makiwarapost.co.uk

Just be careful not to go to fast. Makiwara training can be dangerous if done incorrectly or to fast. Train slowly with it and make sure you use it correctly. I am a huge advocate of makiwara training so I am sure you will benefit greatly from it.

I personally use makiwara made by shureido. These are quite good but pricey.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Correct makiwara training is great for developing your techniques. I did a lot of this when I was around 19, but found it had its social downside.

While in the lunch queue at work one of the serving staff noticed my scuffed knuckles from the previous day's training and remarked loudly to everyone that I'd been fighting. Nobody would sit with me in the canteen after that. Also, it was a chick repeller having 'damaged' looking knuckles.

On a lighter note. I was once training on the makiwara with Enoeda sensei training next to me on the adjacent makiwara. He caused his to snap and the broken section to fly forward and out of the open window. Scary stuff....

On a lighter note. I was once training on the makiwara with Enoeda sensei training next to me on the adjacent makiwara. He caused his to snap and the broken section to fly forward and out of the open window. Scary stuff....

Man, that would be cool!

i just want my kncules to be stronger so if i ever have to hit a person hard my knucles wont hurt as much. and thatnks for all the info people

With makiwara training, the most you will do is form calluses on your knuckles, they will look swollen constantly, and probably cause you problems in later life. In the event you needed to hit someone hard, there are still a huge number of areas on the human body that will be stronger than the calluses and the small bones in the hand. If you want some genuine advice... learn how to elbow.

Cross,

True makiwara does cause callous on the knuckles but not always problems in later life. Depends on how you train on it. Alos they do harden the hands quite a bit allowing one to hit things much harder without damage to hand. But one thing people have to understand is it take years to develop this. Not weeks or months years if you want to do it correctly and not cause immediate damage to your hands. Note Makiwara training is not just for the knuckles, it is also used for kicking (instep Ball and toes), forearm, elbow, shuto, palms, and any other striking surface you can think of.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do