• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does this dojo sound like a belt factory?

Asger

In the org I was under for Shotokan you had to wait 2 years after shodan to test for nidan, three years to test for san dan, four to test for yon dan and 5 to test for godan. Additionally, they wanted each person to be at least 35 to earn godan. But mathmatically, you could be thirty if you earned shodan at 16 (the earliest it can be earned).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can people talk such nonsense:

"...And though Ohshima has practiced karate over 40 years, he has never accepted rank higher than fifth-dan black belt, simply because that was the highest rank that Funakoshi ever gave."

http://www.shotokai.cl/entrevistas/oshima.html

Osu.

TS

Takeda Shingen - 武田信玄

How can people talk such nonsense:

"...And though Ohshima has practiced karate over 40 years, he has never accepted rank higher than fifth-dan black belt, simply because that was the highest rank that Funakoshi ever gave."

http://www.shotokai.cl/entrevistas/oshima.html

Osu.

TS

This is a very good point. However he was offered and and declined is the key point.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 2 weeks later...

Once again we come full circle to the fact that rank/belts are no longer an indication of ones skill in the martial arts.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Some people are naturally great guitarists. Some are great surfers. And some are just naturally great at karate. It's all about maximizing your potential and putting in the work and the hours.

See for yourself, judge for yourself. Can this person teach you about yourself on your journey and help you make yourself a better fighter? That is worth paying money for.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.