• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wu Tai Chi Chuan versus Shorinji ryu Karate

Many if not all MA have Chinese roots and if you study the forms of Tai Chi closely you will find them composed of techniques that can easily be found in nearly all other MA.

This may be the case with many Eastern Martial Arts, but it is not so for arts around the world. Western fighting arts, ranging from the Greeks to the Romans to the Europeans, had no Eastern roots at all.

If you check closely a lot of those did have eastern influence.

I don't really believe so. Style such as pankration, Hellenic wrestling, and Hellenic boxing do not have any Eastern roots that I am aware of. There are arguments that feel that many styles root themselves back into Egypt and even Africa.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastern martial arts in their archaic form might have reached Europe and evolved differently in early times as Persia and other ancient states employed training and weaponry used in Asia(mostly India). However, this could be coincidence.

as far as Taichi being a strong Martial Art, yes, it can be, and definitely keeps people young.

I still have yet to see a muay thai master practising at age 70, 80, 90, not for sport, but still moving well. :P

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Many if not all MA have Chinese roots and if you study the forms of Tai Chi closely you will find them composed of techniques that can easily be found in nearly all other MA.

This may be the case with many Eastern Martial Arts, but it is not so for arts around the world. Western fighting arts, ranging from the Greeks to the Romans to the Europeans, had no Eastern roots at all.

If you check closely a lot of those did have eastern influence.

I don't really believe so. Style such as pankration, Hellenic wrestling, and Hellenic boxing do not have any Eastern roots that I am aware of. There are arguments that feel that many styles root themselves back into Egypt and even Africa.

The fundamentals of hand to hand combat have been around for quite a long time. The human body has not changed during this time and the ways and manners in which the body can be manipulated has not changed either. Any culture, at any time or place in the world, that studies hand to hand combat for any length of time, will eventually arrive at the same fundamental techniques. Clearly, given the expanse of the earth and the inability of humans to travel across it early in time, resulted in the delelopement of indigenous combat systems.

I'll rephrase my earlier statement:

Most commonly known and practiced MA today, have Chinese roots. The similarites are just too obvious to ignore......

Irregardless, I think you missed the flavor of my post....

KG

The fundamentals of hand to hand combat have been around for quite a long time. The human body has not changed during this time and the ways and manners in which the body can be manipulated has not changed either. Any culture, at any time or place in the world, that studies hand to hand combat for any length of time, will eventually arrive at the same fundamental techniques. Clearly, given the expanse of the earth and the inability of humans to travel across it early in time, resulted in the delelopement of indigenous combat systems.

I think you are right on with this statement. I have studied several different European combat manuals, and you can find many techniques in them that are similar to those that also existed in Eastern MAs. The reason, as you said, is because the human body is universal, and the arm breaks the same way in Europe as it does in China.

I just feel that the "Traditional arts from the East" movement has got everyone thinking that all figthing styles came from their, and that simply is not the case. Fighting arts of the West have never been "traditionalized," and many evolved to become sport like, much like boxing and wrestling. Even so, there were substantial fighting arts in existence in the West, parallel to the East. Most had to do with weapons fighting, as well.

I just feel that the "Traditional arts from the East" movement has got everyone thinking that all figthing styles came from their, and that simply is not the case. Fighting arts of the West have never been "traditionalized," and many evolved to become sport like, much like boxing and wrestling. Even so, there were substantial fighting arts in existence in the West, parallel to the East. Most had to do with weapons fighting, as well.

I truly hear what you are saying but don't get me wrong either. I'm not trying to propose that one particular style is the outright sole mother of all other styles. However, the longer I train and the more I study other martial arts, the more they all start to look the same. I just see a lot more similarities than differences and from this perspective I don't have much tolerance for statements that suggest one style is better than any other.

KG

I agree, cobra. However, I think the style arguements started up more as different styles began to move away from the combat/battlefield preparations.

i would like to know which kind of taichi is easier to learn how to fight in.

Also, Id like to know which style of Taichi is known for being superior in combat, if they really are different.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

i would like to know which kind of taichi is easier to learn how to fight in.

Also, Id like to know which style of Taichi is known for being superior in combat, if they really are different.

IMHO, Sun style is the one to practice for combat effectiveness. It was developed by Sun Lu Tang who was an accomplished practioner of Xing Yi, Tai Chi and Ba Gua. He took what he considered to be the best aspects of the three and combimed them into what is known as Sun style Tai Chi Chuan. He was well known for his fighting abilities and this was culmination of all of his years of experience in the martial arts.

KG

IMHO, Sun style is the one to practice for combat effectiveness. It was developed by Sun Lu Tang who was an accomplished practioner of Xing Yi, Tai Chi and Ba Gua. He took what he considered to be the best aspects of the three and combimed them into what is known as Sun style Tai Chi Chuan. He was well known for his fighting abilities and this was culmination of all of his years of experience in the martial arts.

KG

I haven't ever practiced it but Chen style seems more overtly martial that most of the other styles I've seen, but I think all styles could be effective if practiced properly.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I agree, cobra. However, I think the style arguements started up more as different styles began to move away from the combat/battlefield preparations.

Most styles were originally complete combat systems. When the various styles were somewhat watered down for reasons such as cultural change or for sport/competition, that's when the style delineations really started to deepen. As you stated there was a shift away from combat purposes, and I agree, I just see it as less complete for what was there originally.

KG