• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wu Tai Chi Chuan versus Shorinji ryu Karate

I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting' date=' would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?[/quote']

That said, I can't imagine Tai Chi winning against a modern-day Muay Thai/BJJ guy.

what is bunkai??

Bunkai is the application of kata or other forms in actual sparring, fighting, or analysis. It is where you demonstrate or show why a form is the way it is - the combat application of it.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting' date=' would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?[/quote']

That said, I can't imagine Tai Chi winning against a modern-day Muay Thai/BJJ guy.

what is bunkai??

Bunkai is the application of kata or other forms in actual sparring, fighting, or analysis. It is where you demonstrate or show why a form is the way it is - the combat application of it.

bunkai = applications

got it.

well, all tai chi forms have applications, however, not all teachers teach the applications, specially if its a Tai Chi class for people who only want to exercise

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Yeah this is true. Usually if the class is teaching the combat application its called tai chi chaun. My instructor teaches tai chi chaun as well as our kung fu/arnis class and does incorperate some of the tai chi chaun stuff in class, its a very effective style if the person teaching, actually knows the combat application of it. But i would say half of the classes in america just teach the moves kinda like a yoga class....

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting, would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?

See if you can get your hands on a copy of Yang Jwing-Ming's "Tai Chi Martial Applications." It's a pretty good book on the breakdown of some of the martial applications of Yang style tai chi.

As for going up against a MT/BJJ guy, I think it would be possible, just not likely. The amount of martial training required for the tai chi stylist to be able to hold their own would be far greater than their opponent. Then to top it off, you'd need to find an instructor with the amount of knowledge necessary for a bout with someone in another art.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting, would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?

See if you can get your hands on a copy of Yang Jwing-Ming's "Tai Chi Martial Applications." It's a pretty good book on the breakdown of some of the martial applications of Yang style tai chi.

As for going up against a MT/BJJ guy, I think it would be possible, just not likely. The amount of martial training required for the tai chi stylist to be able to hold their own would be far greater than their opponent. Then to top it off, you'd need to find an instructor with the amount of knowledge necessary for a bout with someone in another art.

this would be doable in China :P

hardly in another part of the world...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

As was said before, many times, and I completely agree, that any martial art is as practical a self defense method as any other. It is mostly a function of the practioner than the art it'self.

Many if not all MA have Chinese roots and if you study the forms of Tai Chi closely you will find them composed of techniques that can easily be found in nearly all other MA.

A core element of Tai Chi as a self defense method is the ability to sense all aspects of the opponents force/intent. Being able to read/sense the magnitude, direction and overall intent of the opponents technique and instantly respond with the appropiate defense is, IMHO a main focus of Tai Chi. This skill is partially honed during the practice of push hands. I say partially as there are other aspects of the art that come in to play such as relaxation through meditation. This ability and it's implementation is my loose interpretation of what is commonly referred to as the "soft" part of the art.

It is a very difficult and takes many years to achieve a high enough level of proficiency in Tai Chi for it to become effective for self defense. For this reason, most students fail in the long run, but for those that stick it out, the reward is great. I believe that any martial artist can benefit greatly from the study of Tai Chi and to a certain degree I also believe it to be the fundamental core of all MA. It has been said many times over the years that Tai Chi is the ultimate MA, I believe this to be true......

KG

Many if not all MA have Chinese roots and if you study the forms of Tai Chi closely you will find them composed of techniques that can easily be found in nearly all other MA.

This may be the case with many Eastern Martial Arts, but it is not so for arts around the world. Western fighting arts, ranging from the Greeks to the Romans to the Europeans, had no Eastern roots at all.

This may be the case with many Eastern Martial Arts, but it is not so for arts around the world. Western fighting arts, ranging from the Greeks to the Romans to the Europeans, had no Eastern roots at all.

If you check closely a lot of those did have eastern influence.