Wu Tai Chi Chuan versus Shorinji ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, cobra. However, I think the style arguements started up more as different styles began to move away from the combat/battlefield preparations.

Most styles were originally complete combat systems. When the various styles were somewhat watered down for reasons such as cultural change or for sport/competition, that's when the style delineations really started to deepen. As you stated there was a shift away from combat purposes, and I agree, I just see it as less complete for what was there originally.

KG

We are in accord here.

do u have any experience in Sun Tai Chi? maybe you can expand more on the subject?

I'm currently practicing Yang style mostly because the teacher is very good and the class is local but if I could choose, I would practice Sun style.

Xing Yi has been long known for it's combat effectiveness. The footwork of Ba Gau is a very useful skill from a self defense perspective, especially for a Shotokan guy. Sun style has elements of both of these styles and is why I would pick it as the one to study, if I could choose. But I do think that any of the major styles properly taught and practiced would work just as well. IMHO the principle skill in any of these styles is the sensitivity skills taught through the exercise of push hands. This is a key element to the effectiveness of Tai Chi from a self defense perspective but unfortuneately takes a long time to learn.

KG

do u have any experience in Sun Tai Chi? maybe you can expand more on the subject?

I'm currently practicing Yang style mostly because the teacher is very good and the class is local but if I could choose, I would practice Sun style.

Xing Yi has been long known for it's combat effectiveness. The footwork of Ba Gau is a very useful skill from a self defense perspective, especially for a Shotokan guy. Sun style has elements of both of these styles and is why I would pick it as the one to study, if I could choose. But I do think that any of the major styles properly taught and practiced would work just as well. IMHO the principle skill in any of these styles is the sensitivity skills taught through the exercise of push hands. This is a key element to the effectiveness of Tai Chi from a self defense perspective but unfortuneately takes a long time to learn.

KG

You mentioned Xing Yi and Bagua- although I am interested in learning some TaiChi I've already begun training in Baguazhang(Liang Style), Zhan Zhuang( static Chi Kung) and 5 element Xing Yi(from Yi Quan).

I saw a video of Sun Tai Chi and it looks simpler than other styles

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

You mentioned Xing Yi and Bagua- although I am interested in learning some TaiChi I've already begun training in Baguazhang(Liang Style), Zhan Zhuang( static Chi Kung) and 5 element Xing Yi(from Yi Quan).

Was it the 73 form? If you are already studying Ba Gau and Xing YI, I would think that Sun style would be the best style for you.

KG

Was it the 73 form? If you are already studying Ba Gau and Xing YI, I would think that Sun style would be the best style for you.

KG

i c... i will take that into consideration

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 2 weeks later...

that video posted in this topic only backs up my statement.

as for superior taichi styles. dunno each has its ups and downs and different aspects. wudang is not "considered" a branc of tai-chi but in all aspects it is, same with bagua. wudang, wu style, and yang style are the top styles in tai chi. on and sun style is not just a collab of yang and bagua, but a collab of yang, bagua, wu, chi na,and a bit of plumb blossom thrown in. it is a more recent branch of tai chi and is "very" focused on martial aplications. like i said before all tai chi is effective in combat.