• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wu Tai Chi Chuan versus Shorinji ryu Karate

This may be the case, but who says you can't alter the training to work in both at the same time?

I am not sure I understand that question. Do you mean both of the " softness training" and "the practical applications training"?

Yes. That is what I mean.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be the case, but who says you can't alter the training to work in both at the same time?

I am not sure I understand that question. Do you mean both of the " softness training" and "the practical applications training"?

Yes. That is what I mean.

In that case both can be trained at the same time, as long as the concepts do not clash with each other. That is, your practical applications training will use the "soft" approach, in line with Tai Chi training concepts and methodology.

Even with this approach, it will take longer to make this art effective in a self defense scenario then an external style such as karate. For most people, the development of internal strengh for self defense takes a relatively a long period of time.

The truth hurts.

Actually, the biggest difference between fight orientated tai chi training and non fight orientated is that when you learn to fight, it is the transitions between hard and soft that is emphasised. In other words, the hard and soft training can't really be separated as one does not exist without the other, nor can they be trained outside of the refence of an applicable technique.

You should also note that realistically, a lot of the soft training is related to the religious and philosophical aspects of where the style came from and not related to the fighting style itself.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Actually, the biggest difference between fight orientated tai chi training and non fight orientated is that when you learn to fight, it is the transitions between hard and soft that is emphasised. In other words, the hard and soft training can't really be separated as one does not exist without the other, nor can they be trained outside of the refence of an applicable technique.

You should also note that realistically, a lot of the soft training is related to the religious and philosophical aspects of where the style came from and not related to the fighting style itself.

That clears some things up for me. Thank you for the information.

And it should also be noted that because of the religious and philosopical aspects that developed later in the style, in some cases, what is now considered traditional training is not the same as fighting training, even the style started off as a fighting art.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• 2 months later...

I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting, would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?

That said, I can't imagine Tai Chi winning against a modern-day Muay Thai/BJJ guy.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 months later...

this is a timeless argument, and it has been answered many times. but once again ill say it.

YES tai chi can and is effective agains ALL mma's and other styles. everyone percives tai chi as being practiced slow and used slow, this is not the case, the slow practice is for perfection and familiarity in the moves stances, and confidance. it is not always used slow.

some of the tai chi we see today is kind of un-rooted<-- if you get what im saying, but its still kinda close.

the sad part is the ppl who practice it, and dont back up their style, sad times, same is seen with capoeria :(

Depends on your teacher- if he teaches forms only, it wont be good for fighting. if he teaches forms, the applications, push-hands, and sanshou(sparring) you could become an awesome fighter.

However, taichi power comes to those who can wait for the results and can train hard without questioning the methods.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I believe that finding the bunkai in Tai Chi moves would assist someone in using it for fighting, would it not? Like observing or figuring out the practical application of kata?

That said, I can't imagine Tai Chi winning against a modern-day Muay Thai/BJJ guy.

what is bunkai??

internal training is not religious aspect of the art- their concept of chi does have relation with their taoist(ethical religion), granted, but the training of Chi is not a training of Faith but of hard work for the body to work in a different way.

Taichi trains correct body usage, u can incorporate "external" training, but only if u want a form that is not entirely pure.

the body mechanics are not the same for internal and external.