• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wu Tai Chi Chuan versus Shorinji ryu Karate

I have just started wu tai chi chuan in my town, i enjoy the relaxing calming vibes from it. I am definatley interested in the martial component of it.

the question i am wondering is, with a couple of years of tai chi amrtial training, how effective would this MA be against a street fighter, or other MA like Karate.?

hello there

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't practice any of the combat applications of tai chi, then its ability to prepare you to defend yourself is probably not very high. It all really depends on how good of a fighter you are before you take up tai chi, but that can go with many other arts as well.

It's really more the person than the art that makes the difference. That being said, if you don't train in the martial aspects of tai chi you probably won't have much of a chance. Besides, most street fights I've seen are ugly, dirty, and quick... not full of fancy techniques. If you know how to hit, you know how to hit regardless of the style. There's very little subtlety involved.

That being said, tai chi can be effective enough to hold it's own if the practitioner knows what he's doing, but that level of mastery comes far later than you would see in some of the other martial arts out there.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.ycgf.org/WPS_Eulogy/WPS_Eulogy.html

You Guys check out this cool web article, there is an interesting story of the fight between a famous wu taichi chinese master and the Japanese Shorinji ryu Team. Look at the bottom of the article (nevertheless the whole article is worth reading!!) -- or search for the "shorinji" word (ctrl + f ). :bdaybiggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
I have just started wu tai chi chuan in my town, i enjoy the relaxing calming vibes from it. I am definatley interested in the martial component of it.

the question i am wondering is, with a couple of years of tai chi amrtial training, how effective would this MA be against a street fighter, or other MA like Karate.?

To cut a long story short, if you are practising authentic martial Tai Chi, you will still need more than a couple of years to become proficient enough to fight lets say a karate-ka who has had the same amount of training.

It is just a fact that some arts, usually the profound ones, take longer to make effective than others.

The truth hurts.

To cut a long story short, if you are practising authentic martial Tai Chi, you will still need more than a couple of years to become proficient enough to fight lets say a karate-ka who has had the same amount of training.

It is just a fact that some arts, usually the profound ones, take longer to make effective than others.

The main reason behind this reasoning is the training methods involved, as opposed to the nature of the art itself.

The main reason behind this reasoning is the training methods involved, as opposed to the nature of the art itself.

I am of the opinion that the nature of the art itself can sometimes determine the training methods. For example, in order to make Tai Chi function as a martial art one needs to nurture Chi and softness, i.e. Develope the internals. Without the internal training there is no Tai Chi.

The use of soft energy is fundemental part (nature), of the art itself. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to develope this type of force and hence it takes longer to make Tai Chi effective in a relatively short period of time.

RealWingChun

The truth hurts.

I am of the opinion that the nature of the art itself can sometimes determine the training methods. For example, in order to make Tai Chi function as a martial art one needs to nurture Chi and softness, i.e. Develope the internals. Without the internal training there is no Tai Chi.

The use of soft energy is fundemental part (nature), of the art itself. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to develope this type of force and hence it takes longer to make Tai Chi effective in a relatively short period of time.

RealWingChun

This may be the case, but who says you can't alter the training to work in both at the same time?

The use of soft energy is fundamental part (nature), of the art itself. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to develop this type of force and hence it takes longer to make Tai Chi effective in a relatively short period of time.

RealWingChun

This may be the case, but who says you can't alter the training to work in both at the same time?

I am not sure I understand that question. Do you mean both of the " softness training" and "the practical applications training"?

The truth hurts.