• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kubotans

little kicker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've wondered that as well. As far as if it actually was used outside of just practice in MA, it doesn't SEEM to pop up in pre-firearm Japanese warfare...but then again, I am hardly an expert on the subject. For modern day applications, I'd say it's basically just for fun/preserving a bit of military history. The reasons include:

A: to actually find one that isn't made just for show/display is hard to do. Most likely if you see one for sale the metal will be dull and not strong enough for combat.

B: Like the sword, it's not something that you could carry around everywhere anymore. If you do decide to bring it with you as a weapon for SD, you can look forward to being denied access to pretty much anywhere indoors outside of your house and having to stop walking every block because police are constantly questioning you as to why you are carrying such a large and obvious weapon (despite a gun being more deadly and yet legal). That is why knives (despite not being as deadly as swords) are the non-ranged weapon of choice in the modern world: they pack easily and don't stand out. Same goes for guns, but then if you have a ranged weapon there's not too much point in carrying around a blade as well (unless you want TSA to have a field day).

C: Tactics with a kubotan don't translate well to everyday objects as well as other weapons (such as subsituting a pipe, bat, or stick for a katana, etc) due to it's shape. Thus if you want modern functionality, look to another weapon.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Large? the kubotan is small and fits on a keychain. Not all of them are metal, so they will bypass a detector. Heck, I walk around with knucks in my pocket that are made of bulletproof glass - they are undetectable as well.

The simple stick shaped kubotan is used as a hard device for striking an assailant. I pratcice similar techniques with my tactical flashlight for use on my job should I need to. There is also a version of the kubotan that has protrusions which extend through the spaces in your knuckles when you make a fist, like spikes.

I prefer my knucks, but there are uses for the kubotan.

My apologies! I got two different weapons mixed up! I was thinking of the Kama (hence the comment about the shape of the weapon).

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Large? the kubotan is small and fits on a keychain. Not all of them are metal, so they will bypass a detector. Heck, I walk around with knucks in my pocket that are made of bulletproof glass - they are undetectable as well.

The simple stick shaped kubotan is used as a hard device for striking an assailant. I pratcice similar techniques with my tactical flashlight for use on my job should I need to. There is also a version of the kubotan that has protrusions which extend through the spaces in your knuckles when you make a fist, like spikes.

I prefer my knucks, but there are uses for the kubotan.

thanks EB well unfortuanly knucks are illegal here ) : :bawling:

so i was thinking of getting a kuboton instead.

speed

agression

surprise

I have a kubotan for a keychain to the jail. Years ago, my dad had some training with the kubotan, but I have not had any.

does a kubotan handle like a a retractable kali stick then?

~Theodore Roosevelt

No, a kubotan is rarely longer than 4 inches, I would say, on the average. It is mainly used to apply additional pressure to the hand and wrist when attempting to lock up and detain someone until help arrives, or you get them restrained.

My dad always referred to it as a "pain compliance tool." :D