• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best style mixture

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

El mentioned TKD. I do TKD but I'm looking for another art to go with it. One with more self defense, and some ground fighting. Would that be Judo/Jujitsu? Or would even Kenpo/Kempo be ok?

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-05-31 08:07 ]

Laurie F

I too have been looking towards another style to crosstrain in (by end of this year). One thing of importance to me is location and of course what is available in my area. I took the "greater area" yellow pages and let my fingers do the walking. Most of the schools do list their web addresses and contacts. I am seriously thinking of Kempo myself and there is a school down the street from my TKD school. This is the style this particular school teaches:

Kempo is a blend of the Japanese karate and the Chinese kung fu. Karate is more direct, while the emphasis of kung fu is the redirection of an attacker’s strikes.

The Kempo Martial Arts is broken down into three categories:

1) Traditional martial arts - this is where you will gain the body strength, conditioning and flexibility.

2) Practical martial arts - this is where you will learn how to use the movements in a self-defense situation.

3) Competitive martial arts - this is where you will train to go into competitions. Sparring is a major part of this and it is where the concentration is on skill and movement as well as timing and distance.

What I really want to do is box! But the gyms that offer it are not convenient to get to.

I don't know how you can say x,y,z arts give the best style mixture unless you're talking about yourself personally. One art may not be suited to every person.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Kenpo and Tae Kwon Do....

Kenpo for the realistic self defense and great hand techniques combinded with the kicking arsenal of Tae Kwon Do.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Instead of doing all these different arts, wouldn't it be better to do just one or two well rounded art, like hapkido, ninjutsu or jeet kune do?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

As someone who practices a very comprehensive art, I tend to agree. However, you have to take into account that one less-comprehensive art might have something else the person really enjoys. For instance, while KSW does have tournaments, that's not the focus of the art. Someone focused on that aspect might be better suited to sport karate or TKD, with cross training in another art to aid their sparring or help with self-defense. Someone interested in weapons might want to take ninjitsu, because KSW teaches weapons only at higher levels (brown and above).

Things like that might lead someone to take a less-comprehensive art but still want to cross-train.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

There are lots of awnsers but basically you should do the best martial arts suited to you to make a well rounded fighter, e.g. someone might be better at judo than bjj and someone might be better at karate than kung fu for the striking part.

For me I would pick kickboxing for power and the practical side of a quick fight and inclued karate for a more dangerous situation e.g. knife attack, and judo as a ground grappling fight. But I'm fine with what I do and if I would be taken to the groun I would just improvise.