• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Possible Karate Style?

NightOwl

Hey Karatekas!

I'll be studying in Japan next year and I'm planning on picking up a martial art there. Most likely it will be with the school's Judo club or with a BJJ gym that is nearby, but the thought of studying karate does have an appeal to it! I'm aware of about 4 (?) styles of Karate: Shotokan, Goju-Ryu, Wado-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu. Are there any more esoteric styles? I'm not a big fan of Kata (however I can respect and live with it), but would be intrested in a style that has more hand attacks/sparring (punching is not a big part of most Kumite I belive). Any ideas?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think maybe if you could find a kyokushin style school, they do some sparring, and it is usually hard contact, or knockdown, in the competitons.

Ashihara and kyokushin do seem to be more oriented towards this...do they allow head punches as opposed to just kicks? I'm not particularly fast enough on my feet to pull off a high kick, but would still like to be able to train with the head as a viable target. Thanks!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Ashihara and kyokushin do seem to be more oriented towards this...do they allow head punches as opposed to just kicks? I'm not particularly fast enough on my feet to pull off a high kick, but would still like to be able to train with the head as a viable target. Thanks!

No, I don't think they allow hands to the head. May want to go with Shotokan for that.

No, I don't think they allow hands to the head. May want to go with Shotokan for that.

Yes, perhaps if the right dojo came up. I don't care for point sparring sparring however....

Doing a bit of reading into Kyokushin (via the all-knowing wikipedia :) ) they used to allow head punches, but phased it out. If I could find a place that still had it...Anyhow, sorry to be so picky :cry: !

~Theodore Roosevelt

Suggest you contact someone in the vicinity of your japanese adress.

If in tokyo by all means try out the ICHIGEKI building.

Kyokushin(iko1) do Kyokushin and MMA.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Yes, perhaps if the right dojo came up. I don't care for point sparring sparring however....

How are you used to training?

Point sparring is a crappy term that to me describes American teenagers in satin pants trying to tap each other with a flying spin kick. This isn't how most shotokan dojos train, but on the other hand they likely won't be kyokushin style full-contact either.

Thanks for the replies! Daido Juku seems good, but is too far away. However, I think I will check out ICHIGEKI.

~Theodore Roosevelt