• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I watched a number of videos and can honestly say I really enjoyed them. As for the rules I wondered about, I found them at the following:

http://www.worldcombatleague.com/rules.html

But under the techniques allowed/not allowed, while striking with the knees is mentioned (yes, above the waist), elbows aren't at all. I wonder if it's meant to be an obvious "No!" like striking the groin. I couldn't tell from the videos if the elbows were being used. I definitely didn't see them used against the face/head, although when the fighters collided and a flurry resulted, who knew what went on with the elbows, intentional or not, against the body.

well, no throws or grappling..?? I would get my butt kicked.. :dodgy:

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, met too Throwdown, but it's another outlet for the combat experience so it can't be all bad :) .

Who here watches or is a fan of Chuck Norris World Combat League. It's a great Kickboxing org, with teams from cities across the USA. It's like International rules Kickboxing, except more exciting. Fighters come from different backgrounds (Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Sanda, Karate, TKD) And it's a great org.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHYSSfojlQ

yes i think the striking part is more exciting because of the diversity of technique in it, unlike UFC they actually use more martial stuff, although it is always more fun to see a LANDED spinning back kick in UFC seeing how rare it is! Cung Le's awesome

When I saw this link, I decided to visit, and I was so interested in what I saw, I went to the official web site. There are a number of videos there that made me bookmark it for future visits.

I went through the thread and found there are a number of rules that I'll have to learn to understand better, and I realize everyone isn't in agreement about what rules should or shouldn't be there, but if this organization is no different from any other, then there's nothing special to offer. I think that the comment made about more "martial" may simply mean non-grappling, and no criticism was intended. Personally, I prefer the "slug it out" with foot and fist over grappling, but those in the grappling arts, or who incorporate grappling into their art, are looking for how their techniques could be applied effectively, and so may not be as interested. Well, that's diversity of appeal for you; we don't all think and feel alike.

One or two of the postings in the thread referred to past times. I remember when full-contact karate with the minimum of protective gear was first presented on the air, and it was limited in the number of rounds the fighters would go. They would hurl themselves at one another, hammering away, really putting on a good fight show. As more and more rounds were added in, the fighters realized they had to pace themselves for longer bouts, and one after the other spoke of honing his "boxing skills." I remember the eight kick rule being needed, as the fighters were doing what I recall was becoming referred to as "bad boxing," the kicks taking too much energy from the fighters. Frankly, that's when I lost interest. This is a welcome comeback for me.

I think it's great to have different organizations with rules that distinguish themselves from one another. One organization might appeal to those who are adherents of a certain kind of fighting, another organization might appeal to those who adhere to a different kind, and there are always the martial arts fans who want a choice of everything, from boxing bouts to WCF ones, to UFC.

so u mean that UF, and all this MMA stuff, used to have actually more martial arts in it than just roundhouse kick? but becasue they got tired they started doing more boxing?

iluvmartialartskajukenbousansoomooyeadokarate

The reason you see what you do in the UFC now is because the past 15 yrs or so have served as a crucible to test things in. The reason that the vast majority of kicks thrown are low line rounds and most hand tactics revovlve around boxing style striking (granted with some adaptation, it is not the sweet science in there) is because that's what time has shown us works reliably.

And, before the wars start :) , work reliably given the arena in which they are being employed. I'd argue that those core things you see in there are pretty effective anywhere, which is why they also work within the octagon.

Nothing agaist anything taught in other competivive venues. Like I said, I probibly woundn't turn the WCL off. It's just a matter of showcasing different skill sets in competition. That's all.

so u mean that UF, and all this MMA stuff, used to have actually more martial arts in it than just roundhouse kick? but becasue they got tired they started doing more boxing?

I'm going to steer clear of saying "more martial arts in it" out of respect for our martial arts friends who practice or incorporate grappling and joint locks as the main focus of their art, MooYeaDo. What I will say is that you saw, with regularity, roundhouses, side kicks, spinning back kicks, you name it, when there were a limited number of rounds, since hurling kicks along with throwing punches takes its toll on the endurance of the fighters in that ring.

I remember five rounds of two minutes each at the start of watching full-contact karate on TV, and I thought it was great, even though far more fights were won by decision than by a KO or TKO. Perhaps the thought was that, if some is good, then more is better, and that meant an ever-increasing number of rounds, although I don't remember if the rounds were longer. I do remember matches going up to twelve rounds. I believe that when you have to put in an eight kick rule to "make" it a karate match, there's got to be a bona-fide reason, and it was evident to the "powers that be" that the fighters were conserving energy by relying on boxing skills while sacrificing kicking techniques. Fatigue can be a killer in the ring.

Fighters themselves explained in interviews how much more boxing they were putting into their training time, not as a complaint, but talking about their fight preparations, and time is a finite thing. Something had to be lesser-emphasized in training, and it was showing in the ring that it was kicking techniques.

I like what the WCL is offering, if only to see a good energetic fight.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I believe that when you have to put in an eight kick rule to "make" it a karate match, there's got to be a bona-fide reason, and it was evident to the "powers that be" that the fighters were conserving energy by relying on boxing skills while sacrificing kicking techniques. Fatigue can be a killer in the ring.

I think that one of the reasons that the 8 kick rule was implemented was because there were a lot of Boxers entering the competitions, and they wouldn't kick at all, and it would turn into a pro or amatuer Boxer vs. a Martial Artist without the same level of skill with his hands (i.e., not an ametuer Boxer), and so, this rule was implemented to help curtail this.