• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many martial arts have you taken?

How many martial arts have you taken?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many martial arts have you taken?

• None
    • 5 or more

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted 5 or more, counting only arts I trained in for 2 years or more.

muay thai

judo

bjj

longfist

karate

tang soo do

kali/jkd

which one you personaly enjoy the most ? what was the best thing (or may be a principal) you learned from each?

I voted 5 or more, counting only arts I trained in for 2 years or more.

muay thai

judo

bjj

longfist

karate

tang soo do

kali/jkd

which one you personaly enjoy the most ? what was the best thing (or may be a principal) you learned from each?

I like muay thai and judo the best. I'm currently a brown belt in judo and teach muay thai.

The best thing I learned from judo is stability. The throws are excellent, but my biggest strength is the fact that it's hard to take me down, and I attribute that entirely to judo.

bjj taught me versatility. and ground game. I know umpteen ways to apply the same lock, all of which are applicable and used on a regular basis. bjj teaches you that the fight is not over just because you are in a disadvantaged position.

kali taught me how to kill with weapons. :lol: it has shown me how to be ambidextrous - you have to be in order to wield a weapon in both hands without hitting yourself - or cutting yourself. We did live drills with double machettes as well.

longfist taught me patience. weapons, forms, strikes, kicks, shuai chiao, iron body, qigong... there is a lot to learn and it's definitely a lifetime pursuit. Longfist in particular has many forms, and heck, it can take years to really master even one.

karate taught me how to fight. really. My instructor was big on fighting. We didn't do a lot of kata, it was mainly drilling and fighting. This was before I started muay thai, judo or bjj, so it was my first real experience to hard contact sparring and drilling. My instructor was a short, japanese guy who was only 3 years older than me, and about 40lbs lighter than me - and he would mop the floor with me.

tang soo do taught me an appreciation for MA in general, as it was the first art I trained in. My love of it at the time is what inspired me to keep training.

jkd made me really focus on strategy in fighting, which helps now that I help coach other guys.

muay thai reinforced all of the above, except for how to kill with weapons.

i have only studied 2 karate,when i was younger, and currently study mantis kung-fu, i did take a few boxing lessons when i was younger, and still have the hand rap and trunks, but i had to stop when i busted my hand. :(

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.