• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Not To Eat Before Martial Arts Class

I don't eat before class. Or at least, nothing heavy. I just eat a powerbar or something like that. If I eat anything other than that, I will puke. BUT I do have to have a little something in my tummy for energy.

It's not a good idea to have Korean food the night before class (specially Kimchi). It makes your sweat stink, even with a shower before class (must be because of the garlic .... Korean food uses a lot of garlic).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I try to not eat at least 2 hours before any class. If I really have to have something, I go with an apple or perhaps a PowerBar. I also drink at least 500ml of water before many classes, especially in the warmer months. It helps me stay hydrated through the workout, and to stay mentally focused. Eating a full meal makes it hard for me to focus my center properly and to really exert myself without getting cramps or feeling nauseous.

I've seen kids walking into the dojo just getting done eating Burger King or Taco Bell ten minutes or less before class is to bow in. It makes me ill just thinking about practicing karate with a Whopper sloshing about in my stomach but if they can do it, more the power to them, though I question if they are using their core and are breathing properly.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

• 2 weeks later...
hey, whoever ruled out biological attacks in MA?

Well you never know... it might be the next be thing in tournaments :lol:

I do it at times...then I look to see the expression of the face of my opponent to change. :lol:

• 3 months later...