• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fight Science

It was entertaining, and I'd love to see a serious study of the history and styles of MA, but this one was too flashy and every other introduction started with, 'According to legend...'. I want dates and names! Also, what about the ninja guy?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched this recently and thought it was quite good.

the people may not have been evenly matched (as mentioned the weight difference between the wushu guy and the boxer) but i would say it was a good average on the people that do the art. how many little chinese dudes do western boxing and how many bulky guys would do kung fu?

the whole point wasnt this style is better, it was to compare them, which it did well.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I found it entertaining. Sure, there were alot of flaws in techniques and the guy without the shirt was just annoying. But it did display the martial arts in a positive manner. Everything they did made the engineers say "wow!"

The bo and katana stuff was too flashy for sure. But the kyudo and iaido demos were great. It had good balance. Afterall, if they made it to truly satisfy science geeks like me the rest of the public would fall asleep. Good science doesn't usually equal out to interesting television. That's why shows like CSI are so popular. Fake or inflated science is much more interesting.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Fake or inflated science is much more interesting.

You make a very good point here.

Hear hear! :lol:

Though they could have sampled at least more than one person from each art if they wanted to get a good average on readings, but that would have taken up too much time I suppose. However it was cool to see a number placed on punch/kick power....I wanna try that! (and will probally end up in the negative digits :bawling: :P )

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

sample size is too small. And did they seriously only let them do one strike at the machine? This isn't bad science, it's anti-science

True enough!

I wondered about some of the historic research they did for the show.

No doubt! Some of it was really off the wall! I suspect the makers just took the practitioner's word for it. To do otherwise would probably have slowed production.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."