• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello all!

I was wondering from the grappling experts what holds and wrist locks, etc, would be the best for me to learn and concentrate on when getting into jail house scraps. In case I have to 'rock' with an inmate, I want to be ready. I have a workout buddy all lined up, so any comments would be appreciated!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From my experience bouncing, wrist locks and chin na type stuff has not worked well at all. I use bigger, multiple joint restraints, like the bear hug, full nelson, chicken wing and various other wrestling holds and chokes. This serves various purposes:

1. it allows me to control him without breaking anything, which could end up in a lawsuit.

2. I can completely immobilize them. Control is key. While I am trying to apply a wrist lock, he's got another arm, a head, two knees and two legs to swing at me. If I have control of one arm, after say blocking a punch, I either throw him down or get close to him and apply a hold mentioned above or one similar.

The only time I worry with locks is if I have the guy controlled already and want him to calm down. For example, there have been several cases where I have taken guys to the ground. I will mount them and apply something like a kimura to keep him still long enough for another guy to come and grab is legs so we can carry him out, or for someone to apply cuffs, if that's necessary.

to answer your question more accurately though:

learn to choke from various angles. frontal chokes, rear naked, guillotine, baseball, etc.

full and half nelson

chicken wing

all ground positioning - mount, side mount, scarf hold, north sounth, etc.

become as proficient as possible in the clinch.

learn various throws and takedowns. I have used harai goshi, tani otoshi, tai otoshi and morote gari on several occasions.

Also, know how to hide strikes. We aren't allowed to strike, but let's face it, they are helpful in calming someone down:

while going for a thai clinch, hit them with your forearm.

while you have them in a chicken wing, slam their exposed head into a nearby wall

a knee can be snuck in easily in any situation

elbows can be snuck in while going for a thai clinch.

the key is to make the strikes look incidental, so that you aren't blamed for it. punches and kicks are ruled out, but elbows_and_knees, forearms and headbutts are able to be used pretty easily.

Good advice from e&k above.

One thing I would add is make sure you have a good knowledge of sensitive areas of the human body. I'm not talking striking pressure points, but areas of the body you can clamp down on hard or dig fingers and knuckles into to illicet pain. Some examples include the inner thigh, side of the neck and the top side of the forearm down the center line.

To see what I'm actually talking about, do this self defense exercise (it's one that we teach our students)--have your "assailant" place you in a tight headlock and torque it down so your head is around his waist level--it doesn't matter if its from the front (guillotine style) or back (so your practically side by side)--either way is fine. Then take one of your free hand and clamp down tight on the inside of their thigh and watch how fast they let go.

to answer your question more accurately though:

learn to choke from various angles. frontal chokes, rear naked, guillotine, baseball, etc.

full and half nelson

chicken wing

all ground positioning - mount, side mount, scarf hold, north sounth, etc.

become as proficient as possible in the clinch.

learn various throws and takedowns. I have used harai goshi, tani otoshi, tai otoshi and morote gari on several occasions.

Also, know how to hide strikes. We aren't allowed to strike, but let's face it, they are helpful in calming someone down:

while going for a thai clinch, hit them with your forearm.

while you have them in a chicken wing, slam their exposed head into a nearby wall

a knee can be snuck in easily in any situation

elbows can be snuck in while going for a thai clinch.

the key is to make the strikes look incidental, so that you aren't blamed for it. punches and kicks are ruled out, but elbows_and_knees, forearms and headbutts are able to be used pretty easily.

While I agree with you on the effectiveness of these techniques. I think you'll find that the types of techniques guards are allowed to apply to inmates won't usually allow for things like chokes, slamming heads and many throws that cause the inmate's feet to leave the ground. I know several guards in different states...they are at a huge disadvantage.

Your best defense is going to be numbers. Always try to have at least a three or four to one ratio. Learning to hide the techniques is extremely important, as E&K already mentioned. Your fellow guards should be able to give you alot of advice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks, everyone, for the advise. I understand what you are saying about the throws and such, ps1, but hey, if we are struggling, and it causes a "fall," then oh well for the bad guy. Most of the time, we do have several of us around, and if someone is in a cell area, and we need to move them out, we will call up several more people to help out.

I like your suggestions, elbows_and_knees, and I think I will try to work on them.

Thanks again, everyone. If you have any more suggestions, keep them coming.

I know of the grab you are describing on the thigh, bearich. We call it a "moose bite." :D

Thanks, everyone, for the advise. I understand what you are saying about the throws and such, ps1, but hey, if we are struggling, and it causes a "fall," then oh well for the bad guy. Most of the time, we do have several of us around, and if someone is in a cell area, and we need to move them out, we will call up several more people to help out.

bingo. Contact with the ground is incidental. If we are fighting and you fall, oh well. It's drastically different from striking a person.

I definitely agree with you guys about the numbers though - italways makes things easier.