• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What the best guard position when point sparring?

chillindan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
And I say,it doesnt realy matter as you will not get hurt anyway you choose to guard yourself.
So you shouldn't train as realistically as the exercise allows? I'm not sure I agree with that philosophy.

No

you should train realisticly,training for point system is sport oriented which is fine if you are aware of the difference.

reality is one thing

sport is quite another

and in that respect there is no difference between point and contact sport systems.

They are tournament oriented,not reality based.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

When point sparring try to strike as quickly as you can then you might not have to block :brow: .

When your free sparring, or continuous sparring, you'll want to move out of the way of strikes more than actually blocking them. As you said though, keeping your hands out away from your body is going to give you the best reaction time.

Much to the pain of those I spar with on a regular basis, one of the technique's that I use to block those middle kicks is dropping my front elbow on their foot/ankle from that higher face guarding position. That allow's me to bring it back up quickly to defend a kick/punch combo, and it makes your opponent think twice about kicking there again.

Much to the pain of those I spar with on a regular basis, one of the technique's that I use to block those middle kicks is dropping my front elbow on their foot/ankle from that higher face guarding position. That allow's me to bring it back up quickly to defend a kick/punch combo, and it makes your opponent think twice about kicking there again.

How devious.

I would never do a thing like that... would I.... :roll:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

How devious.

I would never do a thing like that... would I.... :roll:

I have been known to put my elbow on an instep from time to time as well. We have to do something to counter those young, athletic guys!