• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok someone made a bet with me that they were right so read this and tell me who is right.

"How you execute a move matters. Style means it looks good it doesn't have to look good it just has too work."

Thats me

"Style and how you adapt is more important than knowing how to execute a move." Thats her

We were debating about UFC.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

depends from what aspect... martial arts... you win... entertainment business she wins... i think you are both thinking on different levels and thats why you both have answers that could be right in context to the same thing

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

i would say that style, at least in terms of TECHNIQUE, is important. an "ugly" punch is generally one that wouldn't work as well as a "pretty" punch.

you're right about a move just having to work. an ugly block that works is better than ending up with a broken nose.

adaptation is also very important though. but without knowing how to execute a technique properly it's impossible to adapt it to anything else.

That being said, a bit of style never hurt anyone as long it's not theatrical. Looking in control and not just flailing around tends to make people take you more seriously.

Ok someone made a bet with me that they were right so read this and tell me who is right.

"How you execute a move matters. Style means it looks good it doesn't have to look good it just has too work."

Thats me

"Style and how you adapt is more important than knowing how to execute a move." Thats her

We were debating about UFC.

You need to define what you mean by "style". If you mean "prettiness" in the sense that a double butterfly kick from wu shu is pretty, then yes that is sacrificing function for form. If you mean "style" as in performing a mechanically proper punch rather than a sloppy haymaker, then yes style is important. Techniques are considered "proper" for a good reason most of the time - they are the optimum way to perform a maneuvre.

depends from what aspect... martial arts... you win... entertainment business she wins... i think you are both thinking on different levels and thats why you both have answers that could be right in context to the same thing

I second this notion, for the most part. If it works, use it. Like driving from point A to B. You may drive an ugly car, but it will get you there. I know that it may not be the most efficient means to get there, but it all depends on what you have available to you at the time you need it.

Elky explained what I meant by "style" excellently. Bull misused my definition of it. I was speaking of what discipline and form you use to adapt to situations. Not how pretty your kicks and punches look. By "move" I meant something like a roundhouse. It's a move (alone) that you may be able to do but that alone means nothing if you don't know how to incorporate it properly. In theory you can learn how to do a move without knowing the style of martial arts that accompanies it which imo doesn't make you a martial artist.. just someone who can throw a kick. Thats what I was saying... opinons welcome :)

you are both right.

where you are wrong is your definition of style. style does not merely mean something looking pretty. Style, especially pertaining to martial arts, implies a lot of things. most importantly, how a move is executed. Look at the roundhouse as it is done in muay thai. then look at how it's done in TKD. the style dictates how it's done, not how pretty it is.

She is actually very correct. How well you adapt to a situation means everything. The best, most powerfully executed technique in the qord means nothing if you can't use it.

depends from what aspect... martial arts... you win... entertainment business she wins...

not really. If he can't land his perfect, powerful technique, it's useless. so from a martial aspect, he still loses. However, he would win from an entertainment perspective, because he would only have to look good.

depends from what aspect... martial arts... you win... entertainment business she wins...

not really. If he can't land his perfect, powerful technique, it's useless. so from a martial aspect, he still loses. However, he would win from an entertainment perspective, because he would only have to look good.

Yeah I said that it has to work so obviously if it's not hitting them it's not working........