• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly their rear shoulder as it's usually the first thing to move before they do any technique.

sometimes do some obvious glances at the knot of there belt and then throw a big low fake kick to it before a good kick to the head.

Or rarely at their eyes.

Bretty

EDIT: I also look at the knot of their belt sometimes as it is where their centre of gravity is, which gives you a true idea of how close someone is. People leaning towards or away from you can be deceptive.

Another on is their feet. You can spot straight away if your up against a karate-ka, kick boxer, boxer or TKD straight away by their foot work.

I guess peropheral vision is what you want.

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-05-12 10:50 ]

Well, I look at the opponent in the eye! "The eyes are the windows to the soul" You can see his eyes widen or light up when he is about to attack. I also sometimes look away from his eyes in order to distract him. By not looking into his eyes, I make him think i'm not paying attention when I really am! I like to be sneaky...

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

I have been taught to never, EVER look at an opponent's eyes! When they are seasoned enough fighters, they have no expression when they attack. I usually watch the center of their body, midsection-upper body. This usually moves no matter what they do. Eyes, though... :down:

It may work for some people, but with the people I have to fight...I don't want to risk trying!! :uhoh:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Well I have been told that you should look at the persons chest and it's the best place or almost to catch a kick coming to you or a punch :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

I find it most helpful to look at the eyes, but not focussing completely on them (I don't mean looking at them blurry!) but looking at the eyes with awareness in your vision of the triangle formed with eyes and both shoulders. In this way, even with more seasoned fighters you are aware of their chest and body positioning.

(still get my arse kicked regularly, mind you!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It isn't important where you look - all that matters is that you "see"

Peripheral vision is the key. Motion detection is keenest in your peripheral vision.

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Sensei says to not look at a part of them, but to look at the entire person.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Generally we're taught to look at the clavicle, the small dent in the collar bone. Basically this pretty much puts the whole person in your field of view.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Keep in mind too that when sparring you can also "use" your eyes to feint or misdirect. Magicians use this same concept by distracting you into looking at the wrong place at the right time. Same thing can be done in a sparring situation so that he or she won't see your attack coming. :idea: