• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30yr old looking for a karate style

dozer

In all those cases it's gonna depend on the instructor more than the style! See if the teacher teaches in a way that suits you.

This is right on the money. Check them all out, give them a chance and see how you feel.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in Wado. It is correct that Hironori Otsui, the founder, came from a jiu jitsu background before learning karate with Gichin Funakoshi. He blended certain ideas from jiu jitsu with karate in creating wado ryu. My understanding (but I may be wrong) is that certain techniques are unique in wado - such as taisabaki, and junzuiki no tsukommi/ gyakuzuki no tsukommi.

Anyway, its worth checking out. Don't write it off just because the dojo has a lot of kids. Mine does too, which can be frustrating at times, but if you're willing to put in the effort to train, it pays dividends even so.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input and knowledge.I attended a karate tournament a week ago and I wasn't sure if that was what I was looking for.I attended my first kickboxing class last night and loved it.I wish I had done this stuff a long time ago but better late than never I guess.

I train in Wado. It is correct that Hironori Otsui, the founder, came from a jiu jitsu background before learning karate with Gichin Funakoshi. He blended certain ideas from jiu jitsu with karate in creating wado ryu. My understanding (but I may be wrong) is that certain techniques are unique in wado - such as taisabaki, and junzuiki no tsukommi/ gyakuzuki no tsukommi.

Anyway, its worth checking out. Don't write it off just because the dojo has a lot of kids. Mine does too, which can be frustrating at times, but if you're willing to put in the effort to train, it pays dividends even so.

Some techniques may be unique to Wado,these are not good examples as they are universal in name as well in many japanese MA.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Thanks everyone for your input and knowledge.I attended a karate tournament a week ago and I wasn't sure if that was what I was looking for.I attended my first kickboxing class last night and loved it.I wish I had done this stuff a long time ago but better late than never I guess.

Good to see you found something you like. That is a good attitude you have towards the training as well. Worry about what you can do now, and not what you could have done if...

I started training in shukokai this year and I am 34, several people of similar age also starting, started with my son, which gives me an excuse to have time for myslef, I love it and am very glad I started.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

What about your background , are you physically fit ? have you done any MA before or just wanna start with karate without any former background , for your age , I'd recommand wado .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I am a bit out of shape right now but I have kicked up my training since starting kickboxing.I have played competitive sports my whole life and I do understand the commitment and dedication it takes to compete.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by baronbvp

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I'm 45 and I just started Muay Thai kickboxing. Before that, I did Shorin Ryu karate. I like the change - more sparring, no kata. I still like karate too, though.

Edited by baronbvp

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.