• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30yr old looking for a karate style

dozer

The three styles are very similar. They are all part what is classed by WUKO (World Union of Karate Organisations) as the four traditional styles (the ohter one is Shotokan).

Jiffy, isn't Shorin Ryu one of the 4 main styles vice Shito Ryu? I thought Shito Ryu evolved from Goju Ryu and Shuri Te (which evolved into Shorin Ryu) to be a combination of those two. See http://www.all-karate.com/110/shito-ryu-karate

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if body structure/size would help in the deciding factor? I'm not sure, but I recall somone saying some styles are better suited to shorter or stocky folks, and others for those with longer limbs.

Can anyone expand on his?

Id recommend traditional Japanese Karate,Im in normal weight (kinda,Im packed with an extra 10 pounds I think :D ) ,I have regular limbs,and Ive seen people from 4 to 58 come to this dojo's style,and trust me,they ALL vary,some tall,some are as thin as a twig! some are wide (no offence to who is) and can still do back-rolls like others,but the exercises feel like a burden to them,anyways,I highly recommend TRADITIONAL JAPANESE KARATE

If you want to learn to fight, I recommend kickboxing and BJJ regardless of your body style. KB is more effective fighting than karate, and you should learn to grapple. If you want less contact and more belts, go with karate.

If you want less contact and more belts.

you do know trad.Japanese karate isnt all but belts,coorect me if Im mistaken,but isnt the founder of shotokan karate first made the traditional version of karate blending it with okinawan karate? so karate isnt all but belts,its a journey of self-discovery,self-respect and self-exploration,its a art where you unlock what your capable of,not just punching and kicking (not saying KB is bad for you) a bag,know what I mean?

I couldn't agree more. KB is about learning to fight. Karate is about learning to know yourself. Each has aspects of the other. I like both. :karate:

• 1 month later...
thanks for all that.I had pretty much ruled out wado because the school in my area seems to be geared more toward kids,which is excellent too.Also the pics I have seen of the chito class seem to be mostly middle aged.Is ther any reason for that or just a coincidence.

I am a Chito Ryu practitioner in NS. I know some of the clubs in NB and they are top notch. Where in NB are you?

I'm wondering if body structure/size would help in the deciding factor? I'm not sure, but I recall somone saying some styles are better suited to shorter or stocky folks, and others for those with longer limbs.

Can anyone expand on his?

Shorin-Ryu was developed by the short Okinawans. It was designed for use against much larger opponents, so when done correctly, it can be devasting. It's been said that karate is actually a bit more difficult for the taller student.

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

wado ryu is the least physically demanding out of the three you mentioned. all your options have roundhouse kicks incorperated. that leaves chito and goju. go check the classes and see who is the better instructor. also, go check out the wado school also. you might find that you like it. wado is pretty much shotokan karate mixed with jiu jitsu, so you might find that grappling is very fun. there would be many tournaments where you would be able to grapple or spar in so dont worry about that.whether the tourneys are open or specific, you'll most likely be able to compete.

As a practitioner of Wado, I don’t think I would say that "grappling" features heavily in our Karate (or at least not in the modern MMA way of looking at it) however many techniques utilise "Toru" holding, throwing and sweeping movements.

We also have "Idori" which is a form ground work but again is more Aiki based rather than grappling.

To an extent I think that it is fair to say that wado is less physically demanding than the other style mentioned and certainly we do not place as much emphasis on the conditioning of the body, but that said you will get fit training in Wado!

As a Japanese (as opposed to Okinawan) style with its roots embedded in Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu, Wado is as not so much about physical perfection, but more about developing the mind.

Therein lies the problem. There are not that many instructors around that can truly impart that knowledge.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I'm gonna say the truth. I have only seen chito ryu in person, none of the others. At the dojo I watched, they didn't train to hard but really for each style its the way the teacher teaches and trains.

I personally love Kyokushin cause we train hard and don't mess around. Chito Ryu at the club I watched they used bo staffs, and they could learn other weapons. But I suggest watch the clubs first person. Everyone has their own opinion.

Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.

-Saul Alinsky

The soft and the yielding overcome the rigid and the hard, but few people put this into practice.

-The Tao Te Ching