• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring advice

I am taking taekwondo. We spar in class some of the time, but it isn't a main focus for my school (we're not competition oriented). I feel like I improve a little each time we spar, and would like some tips from those who've got more experience.

What I would like to know is this... at what point did you begin to feel like you were "getting it"?

In the first sessions, I felt very clumsy, like I had to struggle to make any hits at all. Tonight was the best yet. I didn't feel like I was having to work as hard to engage with my partner. I know I'll never be the fastest or the strongest, but I would like to continue to improve a little every time I spar.

What advice would you give to someone like myself, who likes sparring, but doesn't want to be as serious as someone who competes?

what goes around, comes around

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pick something to work on each time you spar. Let's say you want to improve on your spin side kick counter. So, you focus on throwing that counter kick each time your partner throws a back leg round kick. Simple things like this can help you achieve some goals.

Also, work on strategy. Strategy makes it fun.

What we do is do a "slow-mo" spar working it up slowly getting techniques correct, speeding up over time

This is a fun drill; it helps to develop the knack for finding holes in defense.

Fing a higher rank that will allow you to work on things. I have a BB friend that will allow me to try new things without getting clobbered too hard. Discuss what you are trying to do but don't forget that you are sparring. Do not think that you can just try anything without the consequences but rather that the consequences will not be too severe. He will usally show me the flaws in my attack by just sticking a fist or foot where I know it could have made contact. He will then offer suggestions and counters for me to try. Work on specific things rather than a bunch at one time.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by competition based but I hope that you might go to a couple of tournaments a year. Don't change the way that you spar right before a tournament because then you should only work on your strengths. You should try to get to a couple of tournaments because they are great fun and you get to try your skills in a new surrounding. I prefer open tournaments where you compete with other styles.

Another idea is to tell your partner that you want to work on something specific, like counter attacks, and such. That way, you can get used to seeing the attacks that you want to counter, and then practice the counter specific to the attack.