• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visiting other dojangs

This is a little bit different from what ya'll have been talking about, but my instructor teaches us to be friendly and greet new/visiting/prospective students as soon as possible, especially if one is of higher rank. I'm a shy person so this took a little getting used too. Anyhow, whenever I visit another school I always notice just how "friendly" they are. It is one aspect of how I judge a school when visiting. I guess I have just become used to "doing it our way" and measure others by it.

Ed

I agree with your methods, here. I think it is important to be approachable and professional when in comes to school management. I think that is it is important for the students to know that they are also ambassadors of the school.

I like it that way as well!

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed in our testing time the dojang i go to seems to concentrate more on sparring than the other three sister schools do.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I used to visit other dojangs and schools in the past, but now I don't bother. I've seen too many crap schools to really merit doing it any more. For me, it tends to be a waste of time.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Same principle applies. I've seen Sanchin Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu etc. I always end up leave thinking I just lost 1 1/2 hours of my life. Mind you, I will respect arts that deserve it. If I see a great Okinawan or Japanese karate class, I will take notice. I appreciate good technique and manners regardless of who teaches it. Unfortunately, my experience over the past 20+ years has not shown me these classes. And Tae Kwon Do classes are just as bad, if not worse. Either Olympic style or just bad.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.