• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visiting other dojangs

Are you talking full contact with pads or without?

I wouldn't have an issue with pads, but going all out without pads is beyond what I could do as well. I've got a day job that I'd rather not show up looking like the guy from Fight Club. :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dojang also has sparring 'rumbles' that we have about four times a year, including an Isshin-ryu Karate dojo, and two other TKD Dojangs. The diversity in seeing different styles of sparring is clearly invaluable, and as a result we have kind of created an open forum for training in my area. I have an open invitation to come and train (and teach) at any of these schools, and the differences, (even between the three TKD schools) are numerous, but luckily we all have instructors that greatly encourage cross training, and students that maintain a friendly, respectful atmoshphere.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

My dojang also has sparring 'rumbles' that we have about four times a year, including an Isshin-ryu Karate dojo, and two other TKD Dojangs. The diversity in seeing different styles of sparring is clearly invaluable, and as a result we have kind of created an open forum for training in my area. I have an open invitation to come and train (and teach) at any of these schools, and the differences, (even between the three TKD schools) are numerous, but luckily we all have instructors that greatly encourage cross training, and students that maintain a friendly, respectful atmoshphere.

Man, that would be so cool. I envy you greatly.

We had that a little at my school up North, but it was TKD and a BJJ. I definately picked up some good info, but I still liked the position I was in with KSW.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

I wish, they don't seem to understand. I have been training for nearly 17 years and conrtol is one of the first things we are taught, not saying I learned it right away but over time you learn to control your power.

Mr. Charlie Clingan

1st Dan #25845

We had that a little at my school up North, but it was TKD and a BJJ. I definately picked up some good info, but I still liked the position I was in with KSW.

Now that is a true cross-over there, with BJJ and TKD. I would jump on that chance in an instant. I would love to be able to tie in kicks with the ground game, even if all the kicks were below the belt. I'll bet the BJJers picked up a little something to take along as well.

Now that is a true cross-over there, with BJJ and TKD. I would jump on that chance in an instant. I would love to be able to tie in kicks with the ground game, even if all the kicks were below the belt. I'll bet the BJJers picked up a little something to take along as well.

I didn't get as much from the TKD as I did from the BJJ (since we have a lot of the same kicks in Kuk Sool Won).

I did find out that a number of my standing grappling techniques worked on the ground as well, and the other guys found out it was harder to take a standing grappler to the ground than a striker. :wink:

At the time I was always saying that the ground work was the only aspect I wish KSW had more of, but now (either by adaptation of the WKSA or my escalation of belt level) we are actually rolling in class together about once a month.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

I'm sure they'll find some way to trace it back to ancient Korean techniques, but as long as I get the practice...who cares. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROTFLMAO

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

• 1 month later...

This is a little bit different from what ya'll have been talking about, but my instructor teaches us to be friendly and greet new/visiting/prospective students as soon as possible, especially if one is of higher rank. I'm a shy person so this took a little getting used too. Anyhow, whenever I visit another school I always notice just how "friendly" they are. It is one aspect of how I judge a school when visiting. I guess I have just become used to "doing it our way" and measure others by it.

Ed

Ed