• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seiza

AT

I make my students sit in seisa (as I do) for my longish post-training pep/philosophical talks or while others are demonstrating kata. I admit I do it on purpose ot build their character and spirit. I tell them what my teachers told me, if you fight it it hurts, if you let go it stops hurting.

some sit there and take it with a stone face and some others squirm like worms all through it. I havent noticed that their weight or shape is really an issue. Maybe their knee stability or ability to let go?

I'm 32 and never had an issue with it, so i dont think age is the factor either.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some people hurts sitting in seiza, it is a fact. Do both of your ankles hurt you? Try crossing them behind you when sitting in seiza so that one feet rests on the other one, instead of putting your leg under your sides, maybe it could help as knees don't need to be so blended.

Edited by Quien

You should talk with your instructor and see if sitting cross legged is appropriate until you can sit in seiza. For medical purposes, if you are sitting in a position where your circulation to the lower extremities is impeded, you can cause problems. One that I have seen is upon standing, the individual collapses due to temporary numbness to lower extremities or from rapid blood pressure dropping.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I didn't start karate until I was 27, and seiza was a bit uncomfortable at first, but it quickly passed.

I find that how far I draw my feet in and how I angle my spine forward or back makes some difference. If one way gets a bit uncomfortable, a small change can sometimes help.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

In 13 years of MA practice, I have never sat in this position. :D

u probably have but you call it something different heh :karate:

Nope. I know what it is, and have never sat they way for any time longer than, say, 20 seconds. :D

Nope. I know what it is, and have never sat they way for any time longer than, say, 20 seconds. :D

wow...did your class not do it?? or you just didn't want to?

Stand tall and shake the heavens.

wow...did your class not do it?? or you just didn't want to?

We just never did it. All of our bows were standing bows. I don't think it is as big a thing in Korean styles.