• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

start teaching

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay. Then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them to keep their attention during class. Adults and upper teens also will be more likely to participate in class when it comes to answering questions and such. While I don't know the techniques you will be teaching, here are some common tips I've picked up:

--While this mostly applies to younger teens, adults are often guilty of thinking they know everything after you explain it once (sometimes even before you explain it).

--Know which battles to walk away from (especially in reference to the above). Sometimes it's just better to walk away from a potential disagreement and let the person spend five additonal minutes in fantasy land than waste your time on someone who isn't going to listen.

--Regardless of who you like to teach in class and who you wish never came back, you'll have to remember you cannot dictate what another person thinks about MA or how they feel it either. You'll loose some students you like and the ones you want to push out the door will linger. Bottom line, you can't control this, so don't stress over either type. Just go with the flow.

--When instructing, those students that don't want to put in the effort to learn get less attention from me. That's not to say I ignore them, but I tend to focus more on those who want to learn.

--Don't be afraid to be hands on when showing techniques. Bear in mind that doesn't mean get physical with your students, but if a student is having trouble with a technique, let them perform it on you. You'll be able to give immediate feedback as to what you think was effective, what needs to be altered, etc.

--Everyone's body is different. What works for one might not work for another. If a student is having difficulty with performing a move correctly, talk to them (peferable before or after class) about what exactly is causing the issue. And then try and work with them as to a possible solution.

--And finally, you'll need to remember everyone has a different learning pace too.

If any more come to mind I'll let you know

Bearich gave some great info. I have a little to add. Make sure you can break down your techniques very well. Also, make sure you can explain yourself well. By breaking the techniques down step by step, you will be able to better teach them.

Everyone learns differently; some by sight, some by cause and effect, and some by explanation. Make sure you can demonstrate and explain a technique in several different ways. This will help you in the long run.

practise your balance ALOT usually teaching a new class will involve doing a kick in really slow motion showing the chamber, the thrust and the rechamber then the set down... nothin is more embarasing than falling over :P

other than that... i got nothin its mostly been said.. you will soon find out what works best for your attitude of life clashing against your students, and reach a happy medium where everyone benefits

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I am not sure at what stage you are at but the first thing you need to do is find a good location that will fit the amount of students you are planning on teaching with a price you will be able to afford. This can be the hardest part of creating a school (that's our problem here)

If you are creating a school from scratch, having help is always good. Maybe a member from the school you are a member of right now.

Once your students start to progress, you will need assisntance as you can only teach one group and there will eventually be different levels.

There is loads more to plan for. This is only the beginning of a long and fun journey.

I hope you are successful and wish you luck!

• 6 months later...

Another tip for you is -

When you begin teaching, you will find that you may tend to get nervous. You will be thinking "why am i nervous, i have been doing this for however many years." It is okay to be nervous when you first teach. I was nervouse for the first couple of days, but it was quickly replaced with excitement and an overall love of teaching.

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-

What I do is actually write down what I did in class in a journal. I started doing this when I was a white belt, now I have pages and pages of different classes for various experience levels. If sensei tells me to lead a class, I've got lots of examples to draw on. Sit in on a few classes for the age and experience level you are going to be teaching. Take some notes and see what people respond best to.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1