• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Few Questions

Symphony-x

Ok, well as far as I know so far is kicks have different names for different styles, or am i completely wrong? :P As far as i know, they are just called 'Front Kick' 'Side Kick' etc. What other names are there i.e Mae Geri [sP?].

Next... Is your Gi just your karate suit?

Another...Should I use words like Mae Geri, Gi etc instead of Front Kick and Suit. Or what?

Thanks for help in advance :)

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

These are just the Japanese names for the techniques. Geri means kick, waza means technique, uchi(strike) and others. I recommend at least learning those sorts of names so you at least have an idea of what they someone using those names is talking about, but I don't think you necessarily need to know the specific names.

A gi is the outfit that you wear. It's called a karategi by karateka(karate students) a judogi by judoka(judo students), you get the idea. For simplicity's sake, it's just called a gi.

Lastly, the only reason you would need to learn the Japanese names is if they were used in your dojo. There's nothing wrong with learning them so you know what people are talking about if they use the term, but I don't think it's really necessary.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A gi is the outfit that you wear. It's called a karategi by karateka(karate students)

Also adding to this a gi also can be referd to a "dogi" just another variation.

Osu

Some styles do call kicks by slightly different names, but they are mostly the same. You would call them by the method used by your instructor.

The white karate uniform is almost always just called a "Gi," at least in the U.S. Sometimes a belt is called an "Obi," but not usually I think.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

Ok, well as far as I know so far is kicks have different names for different styles, or am i completely wrong? :P As far as i know, they are just called 'Front Kick' 'Side Kick' etc. What other names are there i.e Mae Geri [sP?].

They're usually the same in all japanese styles, but there are some minor differences between styles (e.g. kizame tsuki/tobi komi tsuki both used to refer to a lead hand punch. Hiji empi/age empi both used for rising elbow) but it's probably fair to say that you should just use what your instructor uses.

Next... Is your Gi just your karate suit?

Yes.

Another...Should I use words like Mae Geri, Gi etc instead of Front Kick and Suit. Or what?

Use whatever the heck you like! Use either, both, vary it depending on your mood. I do! :D

It's quite nice to know the Japanese terms though as they help you differentiate the different moves more clearly (i.e. maegeri, kingeri, kakato geri are all "forward kicks" so knowing the specific names helps to sort out which you're talking about)