• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello everyone.

I am curious about the tournament going on next year in April.

Has anyone here been to previous tournaments like this?

I noticed that this is a "Open" Tournament. If i wanted to do a traditional kata will I even place? I head that I must have like backflips and things in my kata to even have them notice me.

Also, what should I expect fighting wise? Is this just a karate thing? Or is it open to everyone?

I am a 16 yeard old Orange belt taking Okinawan Goju Ryu.

In my kumite, I will use everything I learend from my karate,Wing chun, muay thai, and June Fan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well if it is the US open im sure they will have the divisions split such as traditional form, creative forms, softstyle forms, hardstyle forms etc etc... (of course ive never been there so this is just an assumption as it happens at most big tournaments)

as for sparring, your division will be split in rank so dont worry too much about it... i can't help you too much as i dont know what kind of a scoring system they use... all i can say is go in a go fast... dont hit ure opponent to hurt them... just pull your attack and use a kiai to alert the judges so that they can see that if you wanted to you couldve hit them and you will most likely score for that...

what i know for sure, is that you will see ALL different styles of martial arts... like im talking all over the place... open tourneys are a lot of fun, as you get to see many different style you would otherwise not heard of...

if you see any cuties tell them i said hi ;)

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

• 2 weeks later...