• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i have found that i m not good in blocking side kick, i always harden my body muscle to block(against) the side kick then do the counter movement rather than walk a side, could i have advise about how to defense myself when i m facing anyone who is good in using side kick? thank you so much

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If your distance is appropriate, you might shift in toward your opponent on the outside (back) of his kicking leg. By moving in, you change the distance to keep your opponent from getting power from the kick. By moving to his outside, he has no arms or legs to launch a follow-up with until after his kicking foot returns to the ground. Of course, it's always advisable to cover in case you do not shift enough to get out of the path of the kick.

Or, just move back just enough to get outside the reach of his kick and grab his leg!

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

If your distance is appropriate, you might shift in toward your opponent on the outside (back) of his kicking leg. By moving in, you change the distance to keep your opponent from getting power from the kick. By moving to his outside, he has no arms or legs to launch a follow-up with until after his kicking foot returns to the ground. Of course, it's always advisable to cover in case you do not shift enough to get out of the path of the kick.

This strategy is a good one, especially when you get outside, and can then deliver a round kick to his head!

You can also side step to the inside, depending on how you are set up, but you will have to be ready to cover, but the upside is that you will have more targets available to you.

Another trick is to slide back as the kick comes, and do kind of a down block, but hook the foot or ankle as you complete the move, and throw the leg aside, off-balancing him. Then go after him!

thank you so much

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

If i can move out the way quick enough I tend to put my hand out and stop it, or push the foot away, allowing me a quick counter punch :)

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

If its light to medium contact point fighting, block it with your arm. Ie hold ur forarm close to your body, and allow the kick to hit it instead of your body. Otherwise the best technique is to move out of the way.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

definitely move. sidestep around it, or shuffle backward. Also, you can just slap it down to the ground from above. You are not risking injury to your arms, as you are not blocking in the line of the kick - you are slapping the leg from above and knocking it downward. I usually use that in conjunction with a shuffle backward, as knocking it to the ground forces them to put a lot of weight on it - hopefully giving me enough time to kick that leg before they recover.

side stepping is a very important aspect to keep in mind here. You can side step and trip your opponent, take out their knee, or simply just smack them in the head.

another option is that when the side kick is coming in you can knock the kick DOWN and follow with a quick backfist to the head with the same arm if you are fast and skilled enough

You can knock the kick to the outside which throws your opponent off balance and you can folllow that up with a reverse strike to the kidneys

or you can knock the kick over to the inside and then step in with your leg and trip the opponent or sweep them by placing your foot behind their leg and placing pressure against the top half of the opponent to knock them over in a lever like motion

you can also LIFT the leg up when it comes in for the strike. By lifting up on the leg you may be able to knock your opponent off balance and make them fall over in which case you can take the fight to the ground.

you can also side step SLIGHTLY and catch the foot underneath the arm in the arm pit to set up and ankle lock, then sweep out the opposite leg and make your opponent tap out.

also if your opponent's side kick isn't too powerful you can meet their kick straight on with a powerful block of your own pushing your opponent backwards

these are just some options....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, nice options you've listed here, Granmaster Chen. I never thought of lifting the leg up. I guess I haven't seen too many high side kicks where that would occur to me, especially if I had to drop my guard to lift the opponent's leg. I'll have to try this - without taking the kick to my face in the process.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.