• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper mechanices of a low Thai Kick?

Hello, I suck at kicking. Mainly developing the speed and power in it.

I was hoping some one can describe the mechanics of a thai kick so I can develop a harder, faster kick. I am facing my partner who is holding the bag. I am kicking with my right leg. So I am in a front stace. I pick my weight up to my ball of my foot to alow my hill to come around and put torque in my hips, as well as swing my arm (same side as my kick) swings back.

Could some one post some more detail on how to do a better Thai kick? Or list some common mistakes begginers make on kicking that would help me deliever a better kick?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you are talking about the round house kick to the leg this is the way I do it. Face your opponent in a boxer type stance. You shift your weight to the lead foot standing on the ball of the lead foot. Raise your rear leg I slightly bend mine at the knee but allow it to straighten out as I bring it around. Spin on the ball of the lead foot rotating the hips for speed and power. The best way to learn this technique is to practice without a target. since this is not a snap kick if done properly it should not do any damage to your joints. If you perform the kick right you should spin completely 360 degrees. Practice about 50 of these each side a day and you should see an increase in power. Once you have done this another technique that some fighters use is to reach forward like they are grabbing something and pulling your body into the kick adding to the rotation of the body. However be aware that when using this technique a good puncher will split your gloves with a jab or over hand right.

Victory or a reasonable alternative.

the thing I don't like about practicing it that way is that it gets people in the habit of doing a 360 spin, which is bad. And unnecessary. There's already a discussion about that here somewhere, but you can get full power from the kick without a 360 spin (if you miss) which can expose you unnecessrily.

• 5 weeks later...

I'll tell you the ultimate secret in developing this kick, prepare yourself and sit down first...go train at a Muay Thai gym under a good Kru.

Karate without bareknuckle kumite(kyokushin/knockdown rules)is dancing. Karate without kata isn't Karate.

BTW, I'm a horrible dancer.

• 3 weeks later...

The only advice I'd even know to give on the internet is this: turn your hips over. If you do, turn them over more. It's amazing how much less effort you put into it when you just turn your hips over more, and still how much harder you kick.

Why's it called a signature if all I can do is type it?

Donkey Slayer, what does mean, "turn your hips over?" I am unfamiliar with that term.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice so far,

wen i do a right roundhouse kick, i bend my right leg slightly and pivot on the ball of my left foot. u get more power into ur kick if you move ur hips into it, roughly so that ur body is in a straight line with ur left leg (if that makes sense) then 'snap' the kick in.

for a thigh kick do exactly the same but obviously aim lower and its easier to drop your weight into it as your target is lower.

hope that helps :D

Thanks for the advice every one. I appreciate it. I found a buddy of mine who has an awesome kicker who has been teaching me. My kick is getting better I still have a long way to go though to get it to where I want it to be.

There are no muay thai schools in my area. So its not really a realistic option to go to one, someone, thanks for the 'secret" though. I will have to use it some time when I move to another area.