• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing

ps1

Do you perform rank testing and why?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you perform rank testing and why?

• Yes, because it's tradition.
    • Yes, it gives the student a chance to prove him/herself.
    • Yes, to give the student a chance to show off his/her skill.
    • Yes, to make the student feel like they earned something.
    • Yes, other.(please explain below)
    • no

I am of the opinion that belt tests, kyu and dan alike, are truly useless. The only exception I will note are those who fall under some orginization. Because the testing board had likely never seen the student perform they need to be sure that the student meets the requirements.

Here is my reasoning:

1. The teacher sees the student each class. Therefore the teacher knows what the student's capabilities are.

2. The teacher should be pushing the students hard each class. Shugyo should be employed intermittently. Therefore the teacher knows how hard the student is willing to push him/herself.

3. Tests aren't really that traditional considering the rank system we use is less than 100 years old. It used to be that the students just knew who was most skilled and who was less skilled.

4. Testing adds a sense of finality that I do not think should exist. This is an ingrained thing. People see a test as the end of a journey. When, in actuallity, it should be the beginning of a new one.

I am of the belief that when a student is ready for a new rank, the teacher should just tie it on.

Please, I look forward to your thoughts and counter points to my argument here. I always find this to be a stimulating point of debate.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my school, we do not test. For that matter, my sensei never tested until he went for his teaching liscence - at 7th dan. Same deal with his sensei, and going back one more we fail to even have the dan system when he trained - as a result we stick with tradition - if the individual has achieved that which is needed to move on, then they do so.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Hello,

I read your opinion which I find very interesting as I am preparing for first dan in karate in April ( I hope).

In in Belgium in my federation your instructor award you your belts up to brown included after that the belts are awarded by a independent panel which has several juries which are all composed of one and often two high ranking senseis from the major karate schools (shotokan,shito-ryu,wado-ryu and goju-ryu).

I feel that this is good approach as it sets expectations at the same level for everyone and it avoids the buddy buddy aproach.

Also I have noticed the following a couple of months before each shodan shaken (exam) the commission provides a free workshop for all karatekas from brown belt (1kyu) up this is basically a practice exam that lets you see how you measure up to expectations. I was astounded at the difference in levels between brown belts of different dojos some were not able to some of the simplest techniques. Because of this I feel that and independent panel adds some credibility to our black belts. Also to many times I have run into “self proclaimed” black belts that are frankly not up to par and do a disservice to all martial arts.

I do agree that obtaining a belt should not be a goal as of such but certainly it can perceived as encouragement along the way…

Hello,

I read your opinion which I find very interesting as I am preparing for first dan in karate in April ( I hope).

In in Belgium in my federation your instructor award you your belts up to brown included after that the belts are awarded by a independent panel which has several juries which are all composed of one and often two high ranking senseis from the major karate schools (shotokan,shito-ryu,wado-ryu and goju-ryu).

I feel that this is good approach as it sets expectations at the same level for everyone and it avoids the buddy buddy aproach.

Also I have noticed the following a couple of months before each shodan shaken (exam) the commission provides a free workshop for all karatekas from brown belt (1kyu) up this is basically a practice exam that lets you see how you measure up to expectations. I was astounded at the difference in levels between brown belts of different dojos some were not able to some of the simplest techniques. Because of this I feel that and independent panel adds some credibility to our black belts. Also to many times I have run into “self proclaimed” black belts that are frankly not up to par and do a disservice to all martial arts.

I do agree that obtaining a belt should not be a goal as of such but certainly it can perceived as encouragement along the way…

I do like the point you make about the "buddy buddy" approach. I've seen that happen. I should say though, a truly qualified instructor shouldn't stoop to that level. For example, I have a friend who's sensei is also his father. Those were the toughest standards I've ever seen. He took 12 years to earn black belt. He started at six and earned it when he was 18! But...he's very good.

Many people often point out the credibility issue that you bring up. However, I've found it only ever means anything within that particular orginization. The average population wouldn't know your credible certificate from one made up on the computer. Which is why the world has so many sub-par black belts (who may never have actually earned one.

Thanks for the response. You bring up some good points.

I agree with the testing approach however in my dojo no one goes for rank unless I think they can pass it. I know who will pass and who would fail. It is to add a little pressure to them to see how they react. I think it helps the student become more comfortable with the material. I call out each technique right off the students testing sheet that they have from day one. Note I have never had a student fail. Its a matter of seeing how they react more then seeing what they are able to do, that I know already. Plus it gives them a sense of accomplishment.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I guess I can take or leave testing. I have always had to test for rank, so it is what I am used to. Does that make it right? No, not really. However, testings have their advantages. It does give some a sense of accomplishment. Others, not so much. Like you said, you will know how good you are, inside. I don't know; I will think on this a bit. A good thread!

I agree that belts should just be given when the student is ready. However, you'd probably find if that were the case then there would be a lot of sub-standard black belts walking around etc.

I used to not test, but decided to test with the JKA. Its pretty good as the JKA is such a well-known association in karate that I think most people would accept a JKA rank as a properly achieved one.

The one good thing about belt tests is the fact that it forces students to face a potentially nerve-racking and uncomfortable experience and that can only be character building. I know I do tend to get quite nervous at belt tests, and its good to learn how to perform under those conditions.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

We are tested by our organisation not by our individual sensei (although he might be on the testing panel on the day). Having failed a test in the past, and seen others fail, I can say it does help maintain a certain level of quality and credibility.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Goal setting and quality control.

8)

I think, for the goal setting perspective, that applies to children more than adults. Hopefully, a mature adult should not need superficial tests as a goal. However, this is a great point for children.

I don't think it is a good form of quality control. Most schools do test. There are still far too many subpar black belts out there. That just comes from incompetent instructors.