• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

effective kicks

what kick would you use in a real life situation?

Is the side kick an inaffective part of training?

Have you been in a situation where a kick worked or did'nt work?

just intrested

blue belt Lau Gar Kung fu

"know your enemy"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeh i been in a situation that i had to use a kick. this guy was having a go at me for like punk. so i side kicked him in the chest because he was getting angry. not to hard but he fell on his ass and he was winded.

i cant remember what that place is called but its just where your ribs go together.

When I was about 14 years old my older brother used to pick on me. WE fought all the time. I stuffed him with a sidekick to his stomach and he dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Boy was that a great feeling. We never had a fight since that day and I'm not 26 years old. You do the math...

lol

So to answer your question- sidekicks do work in real situations.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I was in one fight (after starting MA hehehe), and it was with a guy that wouldn't take no for an answer. He followed me and took me to the ground (with my back on him). I backfisted his nose, and elbowed his tummy and hammer fisted his ... ummm.... you get the drift. He still got up and followed me. So I side kicked him. I broke his ribs. He fell and didn't get back up after that :grin:

Laurie F

Hmmm.... I've noticed in sparring I tend to go with hand techniques (hehe well I do study a "te" after all...)

In real life I'd possibly use the basic front kick, cause it's fast and easy, if I wanted to kick.

Maybe then the roundhouse, which I'm starting to like after initially finding it the most "difficult" of the basic kicks.

I love the feel of a well executed side-kick, that one legged sideways stance, it all looks and feels great, but I just can't get it off quick enough yet... maybe after much more practise I'll be able to get it off in a usable time-frame.

In fact, I've noticed that the major difference between me and the higher ranking belts is not necessarily that their form is infinitely better, or their strike that much stronger, but that they can put it all together a hell of a lot quicker than me. That's the sort of thing that only comes thru practise and dedication.

Before I started karate I had this thing you might call my "natural" side kick. It was actually chambered like a roundhouse, but then instead of swinging around to strike with the top of the foot, I'd thrust out to strike with the heel. Is this a kick anyone knows or has learnt/used in any style?

KarateForums.com - Sempai