• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

punch speed

little kicker

hi

well iv serched for this but nothing came up

im looking to devolp the speed in my middle straight punch.at the moment i keep my arm relaxed launch the punch twist the arm tense and snap.iv never been good with spped.its my overall weakness. :bawling:

any tips? :-?

thanks

speed

agression

surprise

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you just need to work on your reflexes... several ways to do this really...

i will list them from fastest and most direct benefit downward..

first off get a kickboxing punch ball thing.. the ones with an elastic string on the top and bottom with the ball suspended in the middle, it then flies as you punch it.. the harder you punch the faster it will go... train with this for a while and you will see that as you are able to punch it more often, if you try without it your punches will snap oout faster

second you could just use a pad or punching bag of some sort, just something that you can contact so that you know that you are fully extending your punches... line yourself up so you just barely touch it with a good punch, time yourself doing say 10, and then just keep drilling it till you get faster, you will want to beat you time, and if you dont make contact dont count the punch...

lastly this is what i would do just because its fun, have someone whip golfballs or little rocks at you... you have to catch them or deflect them... sure itll hurt and it sounds dumb but it would be fun... this will work on ure coordination, reaction time, and the motion speed of your arms... since your reaction time increases... even if you punch only slightly faster... u still started ahead of whoever you are facing so you win by the extra speed plus the head start you got...

i hope one of those three help

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

You can also get weighted gloves that only way a pound or two and go through your normal punching exercises. By adding the additional weight you'll be putting more strein on your muscles, slowly building them up. Then when you punch without them you'll be able to move a bit faster.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/9767.htm

that is true but ive found when you take them off... all of your technique goes out the door... the seemingly weightlessness of your arms do not let you realise that you are using bad technique... thats at least what ive seen when i tried it myself... i dont know if its happened to others

actually I use ankle and wrist weights every time a train, for this purpose. I think I have really fast hands but like was stated before your technique after they are off is hurt. So if your going for say a competition and its a few weeks away make sure you train hard up untill 3-5 days before without the weights so your body gets used to not having them off.

If your not getting ready for competition then I would say 50/50 training. Do half your workout with and half without, but mix it up so your not doing a whole half with weights and a whole half without so if you work for an hour do 15 min with 10 without 10 with 15 without. Keeps your body from peaking, plus you get the better workout.

just a suggestion

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Punch Speed has NOTHING to do with using weights or improving reflexes... Punch speed is developed with "Breathing Timing" where the timing of the punch matches your breathing. The faster you breathe, the faster the punch. The slower you breathe, the slower you punch. If the punch is out or sync with your breathing, it's like putting on the "brakes" when punching...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

that is only correct to a certain extent... you need to have that fast breath synced to your punch... without a relatively fast punch to begin with, not amount of breathing is going to help you... because your breathing will just not match and throw off the rythem of the punch...

i have also seen people punch without breathing just as fast if not faster than those who do breathe... the difference is the power/energy in ure punch

You can also get weighted gloves that only way a pound or two and go through your normal punching exercises. By adding the additional weight you'll be putting more strein on your muscles, slowly building them up. Then when you punch without them you'll be able to move a bit faster.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/9767.htm

Hey man, those are kind of cool! I may have to look into a pair of those!

that is true but ive found when you take them off... all of your technique goes out the door... the seemingly weightlessness of your arms do not let you realise that you are using bad technique... thats at least what ive seen when i tried it myself... i dont know if its happened to others

In order to counter-act this response, you need to spend periods of time working without them. I have used dumbells to do punching combinations, much with the same results that these gloves would give, and it does not make my technique bad. You just have to remember to train without them, too, to let your body adapt and grow.