• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thanks for all the tips guys!some greta techniques there i especially like the dont over complicat things just hit them lol.although really i tend to try and stay out of violence.i'v been practicing a couple of these in the dojo and there all really effective.(just got to rember them all now lol)thanks again guys

speed

agression

surprise

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't get me wrong as I am not saying that the more elaborate ways don't/won't work. It's just that sometimes, if you don't even have that basic hit back type reaction to being grabbed during a threatening situation, then you aren't likely to be able to fumble one of those grab escapes. It doesn't help that too often, classes that deal with such things tend to only practice in a nice and calm evironment where you are grabbed nice and gently with both parties smiling and then you have plenty of time to wrap/cover fingers, rotate wrist to apply pressure to their wrist and then extrend elbow to lock them down. The next time you're doing wrist grab escapes try this; after you've grabbed them and they're about to do their escape, shout at them and see if they can still do it.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Please don't get me wrong as I am not saying that the more elaborate ways don't/won't work. It's just that sometimes, if you don't even have that basic hit back type reaction to being grabbed during a threatening situation, then you aren't likely to be able to fumble one of those grab escapes. It doesn't help that too often, classes that deal with such things tend to only practice in a nice and calm evironment where you are grabbed nice and gently with both parties smiling and then you have plenty of time to wrap/cover fingers, rotate wrist to apply pressure to their wrist and then extrend elbow to lock them down. The next time you're doing wrist grab escapes try this; after you've grabbed them and they're about to do their escape, shout at them and see if they can still do it.

Good point. It is important to practice these scenarios with resistance as well.

The best ways I know are:

A. He has only one hand free...use your two for strikes to the face (already mentioned)

B. (I'll try to explain this as best I can), using the hand of the wrist that is being grabbed, quickly make it into a 'C' like shape (with the fingers together and the thumb apart). Then proceed to push,scoop up under the wrist OF YOUR ATTACKER. They can be ALOT stronger than you and yet by using this you should be able to break out very easily. There are MANY other methods that work for your scenerio (certainly ones that work better than the one I learned), but that's all I can give you for now.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I do karate, and my sensei taught us a very simple method for getting lose.

The attacker grabs your left hand with his right hand. All you have to do is grab your own left hand with your right hand and turn your hand around in a circular motion to the outer side of your arm.

Tried this on a blackbelt who weights twice as much as I do. He did not have a chance. The beauty of it is that the attacker gets in a posotion where you can do absolutely anything with him. Try it, it works.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

I do karate, and my sensei taught us a very simple method for getting lose.

The attacker grabs your left hand with his right hand. All you have to do is grab your own left hand with your right hand and turn your hand around in a circular motion to the outer side of your arm.

Tried this on a blackbelt who weights twice as much as I do. He did not have a chance. The beauty of it is that the attacker gets in a posotion where you can do absolutely anything with him. Try it, it works.

Tom

That is a very similar technique to Heian Shodan's hammer fist.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Have not thought about that, but you're absolutely right! Difference is that you use your other hand as leverage.

Nice one Cathal!

I knew Heian Shodan's hammer fist was to get loose, but didn't linked it to this particular technique.

Thanks for the insight!

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

You're welcome of course. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

We are taught two primary things for a grab - any grab. The first is that if it is easy to escape (like a same side wrist grab), you can do so if you want. The second is that if you are grabbed, grab back. After you grab back, you can strike, throw, apply a lock, or grapple.

I will say that some of the solution offered (including mine) do require at least some strength versus a "grabber." A person much stronger than you can grip your arm and keep you from twisting it to get away or gain leverage.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I will say that some of the solution offered (including mine) do require at least some strength versus a "grabber." A person much stronger than you can grip your arm and keep you from twisting it to get away or gain leverage.

This has been my experience as well. Sometimes, it is just not as easy as "using the thumb as the weak link." That stated, I am a big fan of distraction strikes prior to releasing.