• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi all

im looking for some tips a couple days ago id got into an augument with this man who was a lot bigger and stronger than me.i did fight him off but he grabbed my wrist.dont know how to describe it but it was just a basic grab between his thumb and finger and he tightened it hard around my wrists.i tried to get out but he was way to strong.any ideas how too get out of these?

i know youre supposed to turm to the gap and pull but he had me so tight i couldnt turn my arm.

maybe i should have just punched him but i didnt fancy making it go anymore violent considering his size

thanks

speed

agression

surprise

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without actually knowing the exact grip its pretty hard to work out how to break it. Normally a quick kick as a weakener and then punch down towards the floor should break it. You can also tilt your hand upwards and then push the hand out as the weakest part of a grab is the thumb.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

To get away, make a fist with the hand that is grabbed. Grab that fist with your off hand & use it to pull the grabbed hand free. When you get free, both arms will be cocked for a strike - a back elbow with the grabbed hand, an elbow with the off hand, or a punch with the off hand.

The other option is to grab back. If you can twist to grab with the grabbed hand, use it to pull the attacker into a punch. If you grab with the off hand, pull the attacker into a knee strike or head butt to the nose.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

To get away, make a fist with the hand that is grabbed. Grab that fist with your off hand & use it to pull the grabbed hand free. When you get free, both arms will be cocked for a strike - a back elbow with the grabbed hand, an elbow with the off hand, or a punch with the off hand.

This is a good one. Now you didn't mention whether it was a same side grab or not (his right hand grabbing your left or vice versa), but for a same side grab, this one if my favorite.

Make a fist with the hand that is being grabbed and rotate so both your forearms have the underside facing inwards towards your body. Taking your free hand, strike the underside of your opponents arm--this could be a punch or smack--but the principle is the same--applying force against the weak part of the grab (the finger and thumb). A strike with any kind of force will knock his hand loose and allow your hand that was grabbed to attack.

I'm assuming this was a same side grab? (Ie he grabbed your right with his left or vice versa)

There are HEAPS of different escapes for this one, but the simplest one, put your elbow right next to his. See if you can get hold of some information on ICHF combat hapkido. (https://www.ichf.com) Their syllabus is 90% grab escapes.

Remember though, you will multiply your chance of success 10 fold if you use a distraction.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

All good points here, and I would make sure to use a distraction, no matter what. Leg kick, slap the face, anything to loosen the grip, and take his mind off of the hand.

Here's another one. Again, assuming this is a one wrist grab, his right grabbing your left. As he pulls settle into a strong horse stance while at the same time tilting your wrist upward and trying to pull it out of the gap. If he lets go, fine. If not, cave his right knee with your left foot and follow that with a right elbow strike to the face.

Also you start teaching yourself how not to get grabbed in the first place by practicing Kake or push hands, and various other forms of sensitivity training.

Having a partner and taking it slow are some good pointers to remember.

later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

it is very easy to get out of any wrist hold no matter your opponents strength by simply twisting your arm toward their thumb in a circular motion it will break any wrist hold regardless of strength because your thumb can only maintain a set amount of grip strength regardless of who you are, as long as you aren't a robot, lol. If the person is facing you and grabs your wrist, rotate the wrist up and in what ever direction their thumb is, do this in a quick circular motion and it should work everytime.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger