• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punishments

a problem i have is that since it is not my school, i can't be too harsh, as if i lose my instructor students he wouldnt be too happy, as most of his income comes from running the school...

In this case you need to speak with your instructor to find out what you can and cannot do as forms of punishment for the students. In this case it is very important to be on the same page. You may also want to give him an idea of what you have in mind to do, so he can evaluate it for you, and give the ok.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that Squad thrusts\jumping jacks work better than push-ups.

I don't consider it punishment, Its all exercise to me :D

A martial artist needs to be in decent physical shape (including kids)

if you are teaching and a couple of kids begin talking. stop class and make the entire class do 20 squad thrusts. (start with 100 jumping jacks making a different kid count 10 each)

Squad thrusts: Have one of the higher belts count them out and to ensure that everone stays together. if not, restart the count back to 0 until everyone does 20 properly.

Explain (each time) to the class that Martial arts is an Art, not a game and they can get hurt by not listening. Since they were unwilling to listen and to prevent injury, aerobics (squad thrusts\jumping jacks\sit ups) will be done instead.

After they finish the 20 squad thrusts, ask the class if they are ready to learn martial arts or do they want to do another 20 squad thrusts. (someone will mouth off, make them do it again - they are quiet the 2nd time).

They are now tired and quiet. class is restored.

This gets the kids that really want to learn to help keep the others in line.

This has worked really well for me. My kids are much better now.

(this can also be used if the kids act up before or after class as well, just make sure you follow through with what you tell them they will have to do the next class, if not it loses its effectiveness)

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

I find that Squad thrusts\jumping jacks work better than push-ups.

I don't consider it punishment, Its all exercise to me :D

A martial artist needs to be in decent physical shape (including kids)

if you are teaching and a couple of kids begin talking. stop class and make the entire class do 20 squad thrusts. (start with 100 jumping jacks making a different kid count 10 each)

Yes, I completely agree with you. Physical shape is very important for a martial artist, but I also like to distinguish it towards them as a punishment, to make it clear that we are doing boring things wasting the time we could be perfectly using in more productive tasks, so that they behave well afterwards.

I like to punish the whole class when a person behaves in a bad way, so that they work as a team, but I also understand that section of the class always behaving properly and having to deal with other people's punishments. You have to see their faces...

Apart from that, I'm spanish and I haven't found a traslation for "Squad thrusts\jumping jacks". Could you please describe them?

A "squat thrust" (squad thrust) is where, from a standing position, one bends down, places the hands on the floor by the feet, in a squatting position, then thrusts the feet out behind them, placing the body in a pushup position, then returning to a standing position, to repeat exercise.

Another exercise I recall from my youth is one called "mountain climbers". You get into a pushup position, then pull one foot up under the torso, as if you might get up. Instead of getting up, you then procede to swap feet quickly. (sorta like changing form, same position opposite side of body)

what goes around, comes around

A "squat thrust" (squad thrust) is where, from a standing position, one bends down, places the hands on the floor by the feet, in a squatting position, then thrusts the feet out behind them, placing the body in a pushup position, then returning to a standing position, to repeat exercise.

Uuh..thanks a lot. My kids aren't going to be so thanked, I suppose. It is an interesting exercise I have seen in so many war films...but I had never used it in class. Jumping jacks is the same?

Another exercise I recall from my youth is one called "mountain climbers". You get into a pushup position, then pull one foot up under the torso, as if you might get up. Instead of getting up, you then procede to swap feet quickly. (sorta like changing form, same position opposite side of body)

I use this exercise for warming some times...with both feet going forwards and back together, and one after another.

Jumping Jacks is where you stand with your feet together and your hands by your sides. Then you jump in the air and land with ur hands above your head and your feet apart. Jump again and land with your feet back together. Every time you have your hands in the air and feet apart, you count.

As far as punishing the whole class, that is an absolute last minute resort for me. Probably because of how I grew up. I was often one of the "goody two shoes" and so I hated being punished for someone else being bad. Also I was extremely shy and unsocial, so I would never dream of asking the other kids to behave. Thus group punishment always left me hating the teacher and the class, because it was unfair. I found it not right to be punished just because other kids didnt know how to behave and I was too shy and self concious to speak up.

Just something to be aware of when you group punish. Keep an eye out for those kids who are always good and quiet. They may become very resentful.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Rateh - good point!

I don't do this all the time, kids will be kids, and we as martial arts instructors need patience.

But each time you group exercise :D You politely give the same speech (each time) explaining that "since several of you cannot behave like martial artists, you cannot train as such. You can get injured with martial arts if you do not pay attention. Since you do not know what i just said and since i trying to prevent injury, enjoy the squad thrusts."

Some of my good kids had a talk with the others to get in line, its working for me. Hopefully, it can work for others.

On several occasions, I have had a few students (who were behaving properly) stand in the front of the class with me watching the others do squad thrusts. When they finished, the ones doing the squad thrusts kneeled down and I began teaching the ones that were standing with me.

That worked really well.

Another thing I do that has worked well for me:

I tell my kids that I am trying to treat each one of them them like adults, but if they fool around I have treat them like kids again. I also expalin that kids who fool around do not get promoted, because they are not mature enough for their next belt.

I then break that class into 2 groups (adults and kids) The adults get the normal lesson, while the kids get to work only on 1 pinon (their first form)

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

The trouble with punishments is the fact that parents can sometimes get really upset with you. It's hard enough facing a room full of screaming kids at the start of each lesson and also having to deal with the fact that some parents don't support you in disciplining them.

I have a very simple solution for that, and it solves the problem every time.

"Sorry you don't like my classes, the door is over there..."

(Essentially that's it, but a slightly longer, more polite version.... usually)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

the only punishments we get is either doing push ups or sit ups for a long time.

I.e if some doesnt come back in fighting stance, the class must do 50 press ups at the end, adding on 50 for each person who doesnt do it

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• 2 weeks later...